Chapter 31

The sound of the ringing phone broke my sleep. I found myself lying on the couch where apparently I had crashed the previous night. Looking around I saw the whiskey filled glass which lay untouched on the table in front of me. I checked the time, it was half past seven in the morning, an early hour for anyone to call me. I took out the ringing phone out from my blazer's pocket which hung at the armrest above my head. It was Manoj.

"Good morning, dada," I heard his freshened voice and squinted my eyes against the morning light that streamed in through the windows.

"Good morning Manoj," I managed.

"I was just calling to check if you had a good night's sleep."

"I made do with some," I said, sitting up. "What's the day's schedule?"

"It's partly the reason I made this call. I've kept the day clean, knowing you wouldn't be too enthusiasctic the day after your return. But we do have that event though from the afternoon."

"Yes. What updates about that?"

"All the preparations have been made. I've directed Shalini to escort our cheif guest to the auditorium herself. All the invitations have been sent a week ago. Pleasentries have been looked after as well."

"That's all fine Manoj, but-"

"Yes dada?"

"I want you on the cheif guest duty. Shalini can look after the arrangements at the venue."

"Dada, I assure you she'll do a commendable job. There's no need to worry about anything."

"It's not about the job. It's about appreciation Manoj. You need to be there, as a sign of respect."

"Okay dada. I get your point. I'll direct the team likewise. But I had thought you'd need me for the briefing. I've prepared your speech as you had asked."

"I'll be there on my own. Just send the car around. And mail me a copy of the speech. I'll have a go through."

"Okay dada. Anything else?"

"That's all for now. Thank you Manoj. You do a great job. I know I can always rely on you for anything."

"Please dada. All I am now, is becasue of you. I can never do enough. I'm sending you the mail right away."

"Thank you," I said and the call was disconnected.

Standing up, I took my blazer and walked into the bedroom. Undressing myself, I entered the adjoining washroom and had a long refreshing shower. Having slept the night on the couch right after the flight, left my whole body stiff and aching. The warm water splashing against my skin seemed to ease that ache. As I came out of the shower wiping the water out off my hairs, I paused in front of the mirror. Wiping the condensed layer of droplets from its surface I edged over to take a proper look at myself. Senescence had finally taken its hold of me at the age of fifty two. There were random white patches of hair right above my forehead and behind my ears. They seemed contrastingly brighter amidst the shiny black ones fresh after the shower. Despite several suggestions from Manoj, I had avoided dyeing them. 'A man should look his age' I remember telling him on one occasion. Theres no point in hiding it anyway. I brought my fingers to my face and touched the skin which had began to wrinkle. Everything I saw in the mirror reminded me of the one basic undeniable fact, I was growing old. But, amongst all indications, there was one thing I found, that had remained the same throughout all these years, my eyes. They were very similar to my mother's and reminded me of her. God knew, how much I still missed her.

Setting aside my thoughts, I walked out of the washroom and dressed myself in a loose kurta and pants. As I was combing my wet hairs, I heard the door bell ringing. Looking at the clock showed that it was almost nine, which mean Satyam had arrived. I opened the door to his usual greeting.

"Make me a cup of coffee, will you," I asked of him as he entered the kitchen with the canister of fresh milk that he brought with him everyday.

I went to the balcony and sat down on the layback chair. The fog had almost lifted and Delhi was waking up to a lazy winter morning. The birds called out from somewhere out of sight as the leaves of the need tree that grew out of my lawn swayed gently in the morning wind. The faded sunlight was calmingly  spreading around my whole city. I closed my eyes and lay still for a bit.

Minutes later the coffee arrived. It was strong and just the way I liked it. I took a few sips and then laid the half finished cup on the small stool at my side. I had a unrestful night. Probably that was the reason of my persisting fatigue. I do not know, whether it was due to the tiredness or the lack of appropriate sleep, but as soon as I laid by head back, I started feeling drowsy. Even the strong coffee didn't help. Then sleep took me, my memories haunting my dreams.