Chapter 43

Reyansh went back to his college within a week. The father and mother parted with their child with moist eyes, heavy hearts and lots of unsaid words. It made me sad to see him leave as well. In the days I shared with the family, especially the boy, I had began to grow a soft spot for him, more than I could have admitted to myself. And not just because he was the son of my best friends. He was just a great kid.

A week after his departure, Sid had a sudden decline in his health. It was Kavya who called me one morning and she sounded out of breath over the phone. "Dhruv, its Kavya. I am taking Siddhart to the hospital. He had an episode in the morning. I found him faint-like sitting on the stairs outside our door. He says he was just breathless after his morning walk. But I know he is hiding something. He isn't feeling so well. Not for days. And we missed his last check up appointment. Please would you come?"

By the time I reached the hospital, Kavya and  Sid were already inside the doctor's chamber. I sat outside waiting for them. Few minutes later the door opened and Kavya walked out. I stood up to greet her and she walked up to me. We sat back down.

"How is he? What did the doctor say?" I asked her.

She didn't seem to hear me the first time and just sat there with her head down resting on her hands. I was about to repeat my question, but she looked up at me and replied,"He is stable for the time being. But his health is fragile. He can-" she couldn't continue any further. I gave her the moment to gather herself.

"You should know how he is Dhruv. He always thinks he knows best. Right now he was asking the doctor how long-" she broke down. Tears welled up in her eyes and she completed with a broken voice, "How much time did he have? Its like he is waiting for it."

Her sobs were silent but she could have screamed her heart out if she wanted. The corridor was empty save for the receptionist at the far end and sitting there beside her, listening to her cry, I felt more helpless than I had ever before in my life.

I put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her and felt her stiffen under my touch. Gradually she relaxed and then she looked up at me again. "And its not just that."

I guessed what she wanted to say. I knew she was troubled for the past couple of days and reason was clearly evident. But I let her speak her heart out. "Its Reyansh." She paused a bit and then continued. "I am worried about him. I want him to know about his father. But Sid, he won't let me. He made me swear on it. I am worried about how he would feel when he finally comes to know. The poor soul will be crushed and there's nothing I can-" she couldn't complete her sentence.

I knew I could never fathom the depths of her worries, her pain and her despair but right then I just had a slight glipse of it and it unnerved me to my core. When you are attached to someone emotionally, and care for them, watching them crumble infront of you makes you unstable, no matter how strong you are or appear to be. But irrespective of it all, I needed to stay calm. I could not break. Not in front of her. I knelt in front of her bowed head and put both of my hands on her shoulders.

"Kavya," I spoke her name in a whisper, but it seemed to ring throughout the empty hallway. She looked up at me and the sight broke my heart. "I know it is hard. But please, don't cry. Do not allow yourself to break. You need to be strong. For Sid. And especially for Reyansh. You are his anchor. You always have been. If you give away he will too. And that would be much worse than your fears. And think of Sid. He has accepted his fate. We both know how he has been since he was a child. But I can tell that he derives his strength from you. He lives for you and Reyansh. No matter how much time he has, he will give it all to you. You are his life."

"But what about-" she began, wiping her eyes.

"Do not worry about the other thing with Reyansh. Sid will tell him. I'll talk to him."

"You will?" she exclaimed.

"I promise," I said. "And you know I always keep my promises."

"Thank you Dhruv," she said, out of breath once again. She put her arms around me and hugged me, repeating,  "Thank you so much."

Don't thank me yet, I thought and smiled at her as we parted.