four. crazy lady

EDITED SEPTEMBER 7, 2021

THE NIGHTMARES CAME BACK. When she slept at Hazel's, she thought that it was the end of those dreams. She thought that if Akahnitamud was gone, the nightmares would be too.

And she was right. The moment the being took over her body once again, they were back. Back and worse than ever. 

Eight went out of the bathroom, feeling completely energized, unlike the night before. She ended up sleeping for 15 hours straight, and it was really early in the morning. Five was roaming around Elliot's collections, staring at the pictures of his siblings that were developed. When he heard Eight, he quickly took his attention away from the pictures and directed it onto her. "Morning. Did you sleep well?"

Eight forced a smile. She didn't sleep well. She slept horribly; the visions she had in her dream haunted her. But yet again, they had bigger things to handle: nightmares were nothing compared to their problems.

"Yeah, I did. Really well." A lie. She woke up unable to breathe properly,  but he didn't have to know that. They had too much on their plate already. Elliot stared in shock when he noticed that Eight was at her normal state again, her eye returning into its old color and her hair now back to the original shade that it was in.

Five let out a genuine smile. "Good." 

Eight frowned, shuffling away and walking into the bathroom to avoid his gaze.

Elliot raised a brow in confusion. He knew that he wasn't supposed to intrude and maybe this was a private thing, but he couldn't help but be quite invested. One moment they seemed okay, then Eight would flee the scene.

Once Eight was done with her business, she made her way beside him to see the pictures that he was examining, seeing who she had assumed was Allison on one of the pictures. "Is that.." Eight started, looking at Five expectantly. 

"Yeah. I think so." he mumbled, looking at Elliot. If she was going to act like this and pretend that nothing happened, he had no problem playing along. "Elliot, did you develop these photos yourself?"

"Of course. Can't exactly drop that stuff off at the neighborhood Fotomat. Government has eyes everywhere."

"I didn't see a darkroom, though." Eight pointed out. Elliot took a bite out of the cereal he was eating. "Yeah, I converted the hallway closet."

Five took the footage that Hazel had placed in his pocket before he died, removing the date so that Elliot wouldn't freak out that much. "Can you develop this?"

"Huh." he placed the bowl down. "Frankel Footage. Friends of yours?"

"Cousins on my robot mother's side. Can you do it or not?" Five stated. Upon hearing this, Eight suddenly stopped in her tracks. Grace. Pogo. What the hell happened to them?

You killed them. A voice rung up in her head. Eight was determined to stay calm. She knew what the being was trying to do. Akahnitamud was trying to send her into an emotional spiral again so that it would have control over her body, and she wasn't gonna let that bitch do it to her again.

"No you killed them, dumb bitch." Eight replied loudly. Five stopped talking to Elliot to stare at her in surprise once again, but she quickly waved him off, pointing to her head as a way of trying to tell him what she was dealing with, but Five didn't understood.

Say whatever you want to say. It wasn't me who destroyed the building. Akahnitamud countered back. Eight blamed herself for everything, she really did. But she wasn't going to let Akahnitamud play with her emotions again. God knows what would happen this time. "Just shut up, okay? It wasn't me. It was you. Stupid bitch." she replied, waiting for the being to talk again, sighing in relief when she heard nothing.

Five was staring at her in concern when she looked at him. Eight dismissed this, standing up beside him and looking at the newspaper he had in his hand. "What do you have?"

"Diego escaped the mental facility and the police are looking for him." he handed Eight the newspaper of a witness spotting Diego in a car with some girl she wasn't familiar with. 

"Why? I thought you got him already?" she questioned Five, who had a guilty look on his eyes. It was only now that she realized the presence (or lack thereof) of Diego.

 "About that... I kind of left him back there since he was too dangerous."

"Huh? And Luther?"

"He's being an ass for now. He'll warm up." Five quickly said, staring at the paper. His eyes trailed over to the girl once again, examining how she violently bit her cheek.

"What the hell was happening to you? Why were you talking to yourself minutes ago?" he questioned, really concerned for her at this point. Akahnitamud was back, he knew that, but Eight was refusing to talk to him about what was going on inside her head.

"It's nothing." Eight dismissed, "Do you have an idea where Diego is at right now?"

"Yeah, uh. Grab my hand." he told her. Five was confused as to why Eight kept on brushing off his questions and he decided that he really needed to talk to Eight some time later. Eight quickly grabbed his hand, saying a quick "bye" to Elliot before they zapped out of the apartment.

She hated how the single touch brought butterflies to her stomach.

-

The two of them ended up landing beside a small building, where Eight spotted a car and saw Diego, to her surprise grew all his hair out. "Huh Don't you think Diego kinda looks like Jesus?" she questioned Five, who let out a small smile but returned his serious face once again. "Do you wanna walk over there or let's just zap in?" he questioned. Eight looked at the car, then at Five. "You go zap in. I'm gonna walk."

Why, would you ask? One, she wasn't sure what Diego was going to do when she zapped in. Eight didn't know if he had his knives with him or not, but she wasn't taking any chances. Two, the last time she saw him, she literally tried to kill the boy.

"Sure." Five zapped away. Eight was contented as she made her way towards the small car, opening the back seat as she did so.

"Damn, Diego. You got yourself a girl?" she tried to brush over her nervousness by making jokes around him. The girl was pretty, and Eight really dug her hairstyle, but she wasn't her biggest concern at the moment.

"Eight?" Diego asked, quite scared since the last time he saw her, Eight was trying to kill him. "Don't worry. I won't try anything funny this time.'' Eight assured him, leaning on her seat.

"Lose the crazy lady and come with us. We have important business." Five stated in a rush. 

Diego rolled his eyes at him. "I am not going anywhere with the two of you."

Eight felt a twang in her chest, but she brushed it off.

Five let out a sigh of annoyance, looking out the window. He let out a cheeky smile when he noticed a security guard, a plan forming in his head. "Okay, fine," he smirked, leaning up to the window. "Officer!" 

Diego grabs him. "Hey! What are you doing?"

"I hear there's a reward out for you two."

"He's bluffing." the girl who Eight still hasn't recognized stated. Eight stiffed a laugh, staring back at her. "He's not." she smiled sweetly.

"Fine. I'll go with you." Diego mumbled in defeat.

"What about me?" the girl asked from the front seat. Eight scoffed once again, not liking the vibes she was getting from her. "Yeah, what about you?" she questioned sarcastically, sending her glares.

"And I'm bringing the crazy lady."

Eight let out a sigh. Diego was so dumb.