Chapter Eight

I ran all the way to the DX, it was getting dark and cold and my breath was getting short. I stopped in to buy a water with the night shift crew, "that'll be five cents". I dropped a nickel and left chugging the water and catching my breath on a curb. I regained all my energy and started home. "Grease get over here". I recognized that voice. "Aw cmon grease dont ignore us". He laughed, he sounded drunk. "I SAID GET OVER HERE". He yelled and i jumped. I started walking faster almost running away from them. "What are you gonna do Socs!" I turned around taunting them I knew was getting cocky because I tripped and hit my head, through the stars I could see them surrounding me. God if only Soda was still working night shifts, is all I could think to myself. One of them bent down and I kicked him in the nose which gave me time to get up and run. I was more stumbling and swaying from the head injury trying not to fall over again and make it worse. I hid inside one of the cars and they slowly gave up trying to find me. I felt where the knot was and my hand came back bloody. "God damn it I can't with this right now." I ripped a part of the flannel off and held it against my head as I ran home. All the lights were slowly dimming and my eyes felt droopy, I was right outside the gate when my legs gave out. "Soda!" I slammed into the gate and it fell open dropping my face first onto the concrete. I groaned and felt hands grab under my arms pulling me up and over their shoulder. I couldn't hear anything but ringing in my ears. I saw that it was Darry who had picked me up and he slowly layed my down in my bed. I yelped as my head hit the pillow and he finally noticed the blood coming off onto his hand. "My god Y/N what did you get yourself into." He said putting a rag under my head and feeling around my forehead. "Like this isnt your fa-" I blacked out before I could finish my sentence.

I woke up late with a throbbing headache. I went to grab my forehead but winced when I hit the top of my head. Then i remembered last night, I slammed my forehead into the sidewalk which makes sense for why I had the cut on my forehead and the back of my head wasn't in any better shape. I went to change out of my dirty clothes when I stopped by the mirror I had a cement rub spanning across my forehead and a huge bruise right in the middle, I looked awful. I slid on a baggy sweatshirt one of Darry's old football sweatshirts, shorts and stumbled out my bedroom door. "Hey take it easy". Soda said grabbing my shoulder as I almost face planted letting go of the door handle. "I-I'm so sorry Soda". I said looking up. "Don't apologize you had a rough night cmon". He said lifting my arm around his shoulder helping walk into the living room. Steve was still out on the sofa Soda said he woke up asking where I was last night but not much more since. "I'm so sorry I freaked out your just- just my better half I don't want you messed up like me". Soda said setting my down on a chair next to the couch. I hugged him tightly and I could feel his tears on my shoulder. "Don't cry Soda you know when you cry I cry". I said trying to hold in tears. He pulled away and walked into the kitchen while I moved over to Steve. I started rubbing his cheek like he used to rub mine when I felt him move. "Y-y/n, is is that you". He said squinting. "Yes...YES". I said almost yelling trying to stay quiet. "What the hell happened to you". He said looking at my forehead. "Oh nothing I tripped". I said trying to cover it up. "That's not from tripping who hurt you". He said trying to open his eyes wider. "No really Steve I tripped ask Darry". I said trying to stop him from worrying. "Whatever". He closed his eyes and I let him rest. All that mattered was that I was able to talk to him and that felt so good.