Chapter Thirty-Three - The Border Breach

The Border Breach

*POV - Brite Hawmere*

Imogen had committed herself to playing the role of psychotic victim for much of the day and had eventually wound up detained in one of the private healing rooms to calm down, all with the intention of giving Brite time to speak with her. A combination of the High Healer's affection for Imogen and loyalty to the Hawmere royals had her leave them alone.

"I think she sees through me," Imogen whispered, eyes narrowed as she watched the High Healer close the door on the confinement room once more, a key turning in the lock.

The morning had blended into late afternoon as the first day of springtime began to fade. She and Brite had churned the information over and over again.

But the question remained – could his mother's friendship with the occultist have ended so badly that whomever the witch was, was now damaging Ellesmere itself? If so, who was it?

They had no answers and no prospects of unearthing any.

"No name was ever mentioned in her journals. Just the symbol. I think it might have been a way of protecting them all," Imogen commented. "To play with magic in anyway would create fear in a kingdom that only values Skyshakers."

Brite ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at the strands irritably and let out a deep sigh.

"So, we're no better off? If the fallen witch is in Windhart, crossing the border is breaking the peace treaty. We could cause another war," Brite said. This was simply not an option, especially as Daimos was busy destroying Ellesmere all on his own without foreign invaders with a magic of their own.

Imogen reached forward with her free hand, as if to touch his shoulder in comfort, but before she could, a high-pitched shriek reached them through the open window.

No, those were not screams, Brite realised.

Roars. Bellows of anger.

"What the..." Imogen began and Brite hopped off  his perch on the edge of her bed and ran to the window. His stomach dropped as he peered out, being just tall enough to grip the window ledge.

"What is it?" Imogen demanded, tugging against her wrist shackles with frustration.

"A mob." Brite suddenly felt dizzy, as he made on the figures moving toward the castle.

It appeared that almost the entirity all of the townspeople of Ellesmere had left the springtime celebrations and were now marching on the castle. It didn't take a genius to wonder why they were angry. Their hallowed cheeks and pronounced collar bones said enough. A failed harvest and foreign troops on call in the kingdom, all after the death of a beloved Skyshaker Queen. They had finally reached tipping point.

Brite dashed back to Imogen and began undoing the shackles on her wrists and ankles, skillfully turning the locks in sync with the pattern that would free Imogen.

"You could have done that, all along?" She asked, utterly exasperated. She massaged her wrists and hopped to her feet, rotating her ankles gleefully.

Brite was opening the door to the infirmary and peering out, but Imogen looked out the window, needing the see it for herself. She kicked off her shoes and curled her toes to grip the nooks in the stone wall to haul herself up to see.

"Gods, there's thousands. With fire," She said, a hand to her throat.

Brite grabbed her arm gently, tugging her impatiently and thrusting her shoes at her.

"Come on, we have to see what's happening. The guards won't be able to stop them all!"

Out in the corridor, the shouts were deafening as they roared a single name.

Athlaya.

Brite and Imogen locked eyes, for a moment, neither of them scared.

They remembered her!  Better yet, they wanted her! 

"Daimos... Nysa..." Brite said, joy fading to give way for  his voice trailing away as he realised that if this mob was demanding Athlaya, Daimos would be robbed of his crown.

Imogen grabbed his hand and tugged hard, stealing his attention. The crowds were in the castle now, courtiers were running and shouting as the guards struggled to seal the entrances.

"Listen to me. You. Can't. Help. Them." Her voice was firm and he nodded, knowing she was right, as she so often was. "We need to get outside and you need to run."

His heartrate spiked as the guards braced themselves with weapons against the final double doors of the corridor. He opened his mouth to stop them, but Imogen squeezed his arm and tugged him into the flow of escaping courtiers. He tried to keep his head down, hoping that no one would ask him for the direction of aid as a Hawmere as Imogen led him up several flights of stairs to the Healer's quarters. She stopped outside her old room and swallowed.

"Go to Windhart, Brite. Keep your identity hidden and by Gods, get my Queen back." She said in earnest, his eyes alight with a ferocious fire. Her gaze was fierce enough to burn right through him and he realised that he would do anything to avoid letting this girl down.

"Come with me," He begged, alreading knowing the answer but unwilling to leave his new friend alone in a kingdom in turmoil. The shouts were echoing into pained screams and a smell of smoke followed them upstairs.

"I can't. If they're using her name, they remember her. My magic might work. I have to try."

The sound of voices were getting closer, rising through the castle with every passing minute.

"Go out the back, through the tapestry. You'll exit near the Tree of Knowledge. Go, Brite. Get her and be watchful of the occultist."

Without thinking, Brite gripped Imogen in a tight hug, breathing in her familar scent of lemongrass and sage. They broke apart and with a single glance, he knew that they were both wondering how so short a friendship could come to mean so much to both of them.

"Be careful, Imogen," He whispered. It felt wretched to leave her, but his heart was with his sister, as was Imogen's.

She nodded, her eyes bright with furvent fear and esctasy of the unknown.

"You too, princeling."

Just like that, within moments, the High Witch of Ellesmere had vanished and Brite Hawmere was left wondering if leaving Imogen behind would not prove to be a terrible mistake. 

A/N: 

Hello friends, 

Today was a Bank Holiday Monday in Ireland, so it was incredibly relaxing! Rounding my day off by writing and editing this exchange between Brite and Imogen. I hope you've enjoyed this as much as I did writing it!

Jens x