Chapter Thirty - The Tree of Knowledge

Part Two: Temperatures Rise

Chapter Thirty

The Tree of Knowledge

*POV - Daimos Hawmere*

The King of Ellesmere rolled up his sleeves as he made broad strides passed the Fountain Courtyards of Hawmere Castle. The courtyards were circular, linking together and overlapping, an ornate fountain at each meeting point. As a child, Daimos used to run around the fountains until he was dizzy, losing himself in the concentric rhythm of the flowing water. Today, he marched over the cobblestones with little regard for the Courtyard's beauty, moving toward the orchards.

There was a portion of the castle grounds left open to the public, but this small section of orchards was just his. And his family's. Though now, it was as barely recognizable. The wilted trees and yellow grass was a dismal sight that did nothing to raise his spirits. The smell of thousands of putrid, rotting apples turned Daimos' stomach.

"Remain here," He commanded to his guards, who follow him like shadows.

Nysa was already there, hidden by a thicket of yellowing trees. Daimos supposed he shouldn't be surprised. Even as children, Nysa had always been one step ahead of them all.

She stood at the base of the tree of knowledge, observing it's black bark and equally black branches. Out of all of the trees in the orchard, this was the only one still with leaves like seemed somewhat healthy, golden and glittery.

This precious Tree, their father's old thinking spot looked as it always had. Or it would have, were it not for the deep scorch line running down the very middle of the thick, black bark. The crack was deep enough to have nearly split the Tree two. For a moment, Daimos could have sworn he felt a rippling breeze flowing from the chasm at the very heart of the Tree.

Nysa turned to face him, her face already scrunched up with scorn. Her dark hair was curled on her head, as most of the court ladies wore their hair now, in an effort to survive the heat.

"Terrible, isn't it?" She said eyes narrowed and watching his expression closely.

Daimos fought to calm the terrible sinking feeling in his stomach as he looked closely at the scorch mark on the Tree of Knowledge. Here was evidence that he could not ignore. It had all been for nothing then, the Kingdom's people losing their memories had been futile.

"The lightning?"

"You can say her name, Daimos," Nysa snapped, suddenly irritated with him. Heat crawled up her neck, turning her alabaster skin blotchy. Nysa crossed her hands over her chest so tightly that the silver thread of her moonlight embroidered dress strained. "She had a name and the people lost it. But she can still do this. At thirteen!"

A thirteen-year-old with these abilities was nothing to turn from. But still, he was the King! Crowned, accepted, and loved. It was high time he exercised some control over his sister, whose wily temper would lead them to ruin. 

"The people are with me, Nysa." His voice was low, cold. Nysa looked up at the malice in his tone. "Anyone who would deface the Tree of Knowledge would be a demonic ruler, the people know that."

"The people are with you, for now, brother," The threat was enough to break his calm.

"What is that supposed to mean, sister?" Daimos rounded on her, causing her to take several steps backward, her back hitting the bark of the tree. If it had been Brite, he would already have a black eye and Daimos would be nursing bruised knuckles. He refused to step away from Nysa, the She-Wolf of Ellesmere.

Nysa backed down for only a moment before striking him hard across the face.

"Tell me, My King, what happened when our mother died?" She was close to hissing, sarcasm dripping from every syllable.

Daimos crunched up his fists in anger, working hard to keep his temper under control. Nysa was incensed now, her words running over each other.

"I mean when you ran into our mother's chambers when Athlaya was with her. The windows were blown out. What did you say to our sister?"

The sound of his little sister's name was as good as a second slap.

Daimos stood tall, his cheek stinging, his heart was racing, beating so loudly he felt sure that she must hear it. That day... when their mother, always their mother before Queen...

Queen Lilianna had never treated him as if he was her heir. Had she known, all along, then? 

"It was meant to be me." He said, his emotions, expressions, and everything in between, growing numb. He had taken the Kingdom and now, every other soul on the island would have to reckon with him.

*

*POV - Vaylor Pridemore*

Vay watched the Skyshaker of Ellesmere sweat over the patch of yellow grass in the moonlight. Her renewed strength was a positive turn of events, but it had come with an unlikely change. In a bid to listen to Katja's request to spend time outdoors and gain fresh air, Athlaya had been spent most of her days wandering the gardens.

Often, he would catch her looking longingly at the Shuddering Woods, as if she could see all the way through them and back to her bother and Imogen. Other times, she was walking with Caseryia and once or twice Leo, who's health was also renewed slightly, and he caught sight of her laughing as if she was truly thirteen and no longer the heir to a Kingdom.

Tonight, however, he had conceded to visiting the boundary with her and she was bent over some a small patch of grass. This time was different, however, as not only had Caseryia had come, but prince Leo had donned three cloaks and was now nestled on the ground like a frumpy pile of blankets.

At first, the Prince had been mesmerised by the rain, winds, and clouds that Athlaya had caused, but as her mood had been bright and the clouds had dispelled, Leo watched the soft, utterly unique snowflakes that fell and landed on Athlaya's shoulder in awe.

"How does it work?" Leo asked for perhaps the sixth time. Caseryia rolled her eyes and Vay groaned. Athlaya on the other hand grinned.

Tonight, Vay could tell that she was feeling optimistic, experimental even. 

Vay watched her close her eyes and raise a hand over the soil, focusing hard. The snowflakes slowed somewhat and then stopped entirely. Vay rose from the ground slightly, peering closely. He wished they could bring torches, but the flames would only attract attention, on either side of the border.

"Is that...steam?" Caseryia asked, reluctantly impressed.

Athlaya's grin widened, her eyes still closed.

The steam rising from the ground slowed, just as the snowflakes had and rain fell. Not a downpour, but indeed a heavy, localized shower.

Bit by bit, minute by minute, the grass turned green. Fresh, lush, and healthy.

Vay rose entirely to his feet, shock radiating through him as it was Leo and Caseryia.

She opened her eyes, beaming. Utterly, beaming.

"What do you think? Impressive, right?" She asked them, her hand running over the fresh soil.

The three Windhart citizens stared in awe, not quite implications of a Skyshaker Queen who could stimulate life itself.

Vay swallowed hard, ignoring the sharp dimples in Athaya's smile as she plucked a blade of grass from the soil.

"It is impressive," He allowed. "But I doubt you needed the flourish of your hand."

Laughing like a hyena in the desert continent, the rightful Queen of Ellesmere stuck out her tongue.