Chapter 10: Change - Part Four

Words-2039

Kao arrived at home after about 20 minutes. But as soon as he opened the front door, he was greeted with darkness. He stepped into the house with a frown, confused, thinking why all the lights were switched off. He was making his way over to the bedrooms, when he saw light coming from Earth's room. 'Maybe he is in his room.' Kao thought. He moved towards the direction until he heard a sound coming from the kitchen. He traced back his steps, as suspicion took over him. He tried to focus his eyes in the darkness, as another sound was heard. He kept the bag of food on the kitchen isle slowly, as another sound came from right in front of him. "Who's there?" Kao said, a little scared. *sarcasm fully intended*

Why scared, you ask? No, no, not because of the chance that the sound might be of a robber or, maybe, even a murderer. Mr. Kao was scared of that sound being of a ghost.

So, to put it simply, Kao was a scaredy-cat in real life. Although he tried his best not to show it, he was scared to death even at the mere mention of ghosts, monsters, zombies, etc, etc. Basically, he was scared of things that would sound childish to some. But Kao, nah-ah, he would never admit that. He had to much to pride to ever admit to that. But, truthfully speaking, he was scared as soon as he witnessed the darkness inside the house. More than being scared that there might be a robber, or even potential murderer in the house, his first thought when he stepped in was, 'what if there are ghosts inside?'. 

So, right now, at this very moment, saying that he was scared would be kind of like an understatement. This was more like a nightmare he wished never happened in real life. But what scared him further was. when he didn't get a reply to his question.

He mustered up the last bits of courage he had and asked again, "Who's there?", voice a little shaky. 

"...Phi?" a voice said.

The voice sounded familiar to Kao. But he was not in the right mind to make out who it belonged too. 

"P'Kao?" The voice spoke again, making it's way closer to Kao. 

Kao took a step back hearing the footsteps coming closer to him. 

'No, no, no, no' Kao kept repeating this in his mind. Too scared to come face to face with the ghost.

The said 'ghost' stopped in it's track and lifted up one arm and...

'No, no, no, no, no, please don't kill me, please don't kill me' Kao prayed, eyes close, holding his breath.

...switched the light on.

"P'Kao, are you okay?" 

Kao slowly opened his right eye first, then the left, and was greeted with his husband, who held a confused but a concerned look on his face. Gaining back his composure, as he cleared his throat, pretending he didn't just think of his husband being a ghost, who was about to kill him a second ago. 

"Y-yes, I am fine." Kao said, trying hard not to sound scared.

Earth frowned, "Are you sure? You were telling me not to kill you a second ago." 

Kao cursed under his breath, realising he thought out loud again. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." Kao answered, trying to sound as confident as possible.

"O...kay", Earth replied,  still a bit confused.

"I brought food!" Kao, with an awkward smile, tried to change the topic. Picking up the packet from the isle, in his hands and almost shoving it in Earth's face. And, fortunately for him, it worked. Because Earth got excited at the mention of food, clapping his hands in tiny motions. Taking the packet from the elder's hand, and taking it over to the table in the living room. In the mean time, Kao exhaled a breath of relief and brought the plates from kitchen.