three

For what felt like minutes, and in reality was just a millisecond, they stare at each other. There are so many things he wants to say, so many things he wants Jeongguk to know, but he doesn't know where to start and he doesn't know if apologizing would make it okay or it'd make it bad.

He wonders if Jeongguk has something to say too.

Jeongguk swallows visibly.

"How is work?"

Taehyung blinks.

"Fine." He says with a laugh. "It piles up but I think it's easier now that I'm back."

The younger nods once. There's a beat of silence and then Jeongguk blurts it out. "There's a party at Jimin's this Saturday. Tomorrow, I mean. You should come."

Taehyung takes a second to recall who Jimin is but as soon as he remembers, he nods.

"I'll think about it. Are you going?"

"Jimin asked me to go with him."

"As in a date?"

They stare at each other again. Jeongguk nods.

Taehyung cringes inwardly.

It feels like he's being crushed down by a whole building, so heavy on his chest. His lips part but he finds that there isn't anything he could say. In the end, he snaps his mouth close and nods as well, to mirror Jeongguk, curt and final.

There's an odd, unsettling feeling that's beginning to bug him, that would continue to bug him for days. He had never thought of it but the idea of Jeongguk actually dating someone that isn't him seems so absurd and alien. Like a terrible, terrible nightmare.

He probably shouldn't but Taehyung takes it as a cue that he should work on winning Jeongguk's heart back. Because it's always been Taehyung and Jeongguk and Jeongguk and Taehyung. He couldn't accept the fact that it would ever change.