Chapter 31

"Don't leave

"Don't leave."

"Elijah, I have to go. Too much has happened, and I need to go back to being normal. You have too much on your plate and I have a little girl's death on my conscience—"

"It wasn't your fault, you know you don't need me to tell you that."

"Fine. Everything happened according to how destiny planned it," She said with a tinge of disgust and steadily looked up at me. "But I won't stay any longer. We had an agreement, Prince Elijah."

I softly grabbed her arm, pulling her to me. "And the agreement was that you would stay until my coronation. I don't see anyone calling me the King of Yandestine yet."

Her eyes swayed from side to side, unlike her breaths that chose to stay locked in one place. "You're getting married. Does that not mean anything to you?"

My grip on her arm helplessly tightened. "The engagement to Princess Rhea has been called off. Word has already gotten around, so why are you pretending to not know about it?"

Zyanna scoffed and shook her head with disapproval. "This pretence is better than seeing you actually believe that us being 'together' is possible in any sort of way."

"What did you say?"

The one blink said it all, but I needed to hear it from her.

"No, say that again." I stated with a quiet whisper.

"Every truth... wherever it lives, wherever it comes from - hurts. I just want to go before everything becomes so much more painful than this. So please, don't stop me." Her eyes regarded me with a gaze held faraway, but something told me—

Something told me she was struggling, just as much as I was.

And maybe even a little bit more.

I nodded and let go of her hand, her nails grazing past my palm. "Leave. I'll have some of my soldiers escort you to your place."

"Eli—"

"You're right. Trying to extend your stay is childish on my part, and truth be told, there isn't any real reason for you to stay... is there?" I questioned with a harsh pause, starting to turn away.

What did you expect, Eli?

The silence filled the remains as she adjusted the strap of her little bag over her shoulder, prepared to set out.

There wasn't anything left to say.

"Goodbye, Zyanna."

I hesitantly stepped away, tiredly dragging my eyes away from the darkness of her shadow.

"Excuse me? I'd like to swoop in and say that no one's really allowed to depart right now."