Chapter 25

"Attention to the people, soldiers and royal guests of Yandestine!"

My father stood at the massive balcony - the main one centring and overlooking the entrance of the palace - as everyone began to eagerly gather around the pair of stairs leading to the balcony.

My sister and Rhea were among the many people that craned their head to look at us, both of them wearing tense and curious looks of equal intensities.

I breathed and started counting the seconds I had to stand here.

"We humbly welcome you to the auspicious ceremony celebrating the last night the Prince of Yandestine - lives as just a Prince. My son is hours away from becoming something so much more special to all of us and I couldn't feel more at peace."

I blankly stared at the tallest pillars supporting the central doors of the palace, tightly locking my hands behind my back.

I breathed again. Twenty seconds.

The King of Raglezia stood next to my father, standing with a similar duplication of my posture, but the only difference was that he looked so much more proud, confident and prepared.

I held in a bitter chuckle.

Why wouldn't he look like that?

"This night has been a point in time I've been looking forward to since the very day my son turned eighteen, and now the passing of three years has flown through us like a strong and knowing wind; the leaves and sharp branches that pierced us along the way being every bit worth resisting."

I forced myself a few inches forward and gripped the cold railing. A sour fierceness crawled between my veins and it was almost pinching my nerves, starting to prod unfamiliar wounds.

"The harsh breeze has now finished its course and here we are; blessed with a beautiful aftermath, where the perpetual pouring of rain has stopped and a ray of slow sunshine comes creeping upon us."

A quick glance near the stairs and my eyes immediately picked out Lia grinding her teeth together. I could read her thoughts from that scornful look itself, in which she was unquestionably loathing my father's dire need for the verbal theatrics.

"That sunshine is not only about to bring a new king for the throne...but also someone extremely special to stand behind him."

I stopped breathing.

I stopped counting.

I stopped and I couldn't go back to the painful rise and falls because I knew exactly what was about to be said.

A wave of probing euphoria hurtled towards every living soul in the area and I simply could not bring myself to shift my stare downwards to see their expressions.

I can't do this.

My father smiled at the burst of commotion he caused and put up his hand - silencing everyone. He slowly took a step back and placed his arm around Marquand's back.