Chapter 3

I rolled over in bed and sat bolt upright. My clock read 5:46. Although my alarm wasn't going to go off until 6:30, I couldn't sleep in any longer, I was too nervous about my first day of school. 

I threw on a sweatshirt over my pyjamas and snuck downstairs to the back yard, where I'd set up a training goal the day we'd moved in. 

Letting out my nervous energy, I lined up all the soccer balls I had and took shot after shot into the goal. Once I'd kicked them all, I lined them all back up and shot with them again.

After my first training session, pre-season soccer practice had continued to be a mixed experience. One minute it felt like the team might be starting to accept me, and the next they'd give me the cold shoulder. 

Of course, Zack Burns didn't help the situation. It was clear that his ego was bruised by the idea of a girl playing up front alongside him. He was obviously used to being the hero, the leader of the pack. He also made no secret of the fact that he didn't want me there.

I imagined the ball was Zack's smug face and smashed it into the back of the net with as much force as I could.

I had no idea how today would go. Would the team acknowledge me at school? Would I already be the latest gossip? 

High school sucks. 

A look at my phone showed me it was 6:30; I needed to get ready for school. I let out all my angst on the last soccer ball, kicking it so hard that it flew way over the goal, over the backyard fence and onto the road out front. Shit. 

I unlocked the side gate and ran out to the front of the house, looking for the stray ball. I looked left and right and finally spotted it on the opposite sidewalk, just as it got picked up by a guy in a hoodie walking a golden Labrador. 

Wait, he looked familiar. He took out his headphones and as I walked closer I realised it was Adam, the team's goalie. 

"Lose something?" He called out, grinning at me.

"Thanks." I responded.

He threw me the ball and I caught it. 

"Getting some extra practice in?" Adam asked. 

I grimaced, "Getting rid of my first day nerves."

He nodded, "Must be tough."

"Yeah." I said. "Anyway... thanks again."

I awkwardly started to head back towards my house. 

"Yo, Alex, wait up!"

I turned back to see him jogging over to me with his dog in tow. 

"Listen, I know it's probably sucked for you training with us this week..."

I scoffed. "You think?"

He continued, "But just so you know, most of the team think you're pretty cool. I mean, Zack not so much, but.."

"Yeah, I got that message loud and clear." 

"Look, he's just not used to competing for the limelight, especially with a girl."

Adam's Labrador started licking my hand, so I crouched down to give him some fuss. I'd always wanted a dog, but with Dad working and me at school, it wasn't fair to leave one alone all day. 

"So do you live round here?" I asked, looking more at the dog than Adam. 

"Yeah, a few blocks up from you. My girlfriend Kirsty actually lives a few doors down from here as well."