Best friends

MYSTIQUE

"...After your introduction you need to- "

"- split the topic into three sections. First, I would write about the different violent acts within the play. Second, I would write about his character and how he, as a person has contributed towards this violence. Lastly, I would link the previous two arguments and comment on how this had led to his downfall as a character."

By now River had already completed his entire essay and placed it in front of me to read. As I began to read through the essay, I realised something mortifying: River was not an idiot as I had previously suspected. His essay consisted of well written, well-constructed arguments which actually made sense. In fact, his essay was nothing short of excellence. The only problems I detected were a few common grammatical errors.

"River, why don't you hand your work in. This essay is brilliant." I muttered. I then put the essay down flat on the table before him.

He took it back and then chuckled, as he said, "Well, I have a reputation to uphold. A River who is smart can never exist."

Now that was a load of rubbish.

"Stop lying to me and tell me the real reason." He looked up at me, with eyes wide in shock, and then chuckled. "Clearly nothing gets past you."

He then sighed deeply and crumpled the essay up and threw it away, leaving me even more curious.

"Call it self-sabotage. I don't want my mom to think that I'm okay and that everything is okay."

I was completely and utterly confused. River noticed and then gave a small smirk as he continued to explain. "I don't want my mom thinking that her neglect on Lacy and I has had zero impact on our lives. I feel like if I actually had great grades she would think that everything is fine and that she doesn't need to feel guilty or try harder to redeem herself."

So that was his reason? In all honesty, although I could never truly understand his circumstances or his past experiences, I couldn't help but feel sad. I realised day by day that River was not as two dimensional and straightforward as I had assumed. He was an intricate person filled with complications. He was like an endless maze with no dead ends, only infinite passages leading, hopefully, to the real River Louman.

"River... don't." Was all I could manage to say to him as I put my hand on his shoulder. I could now feel the wetness of a tear which made its way down my cheek and was about to wipe it away, when River's hand beat me to it. I then looked up and met his soft gaze.

"Do you think you remember a bit of the essay you just read?"

I nodded my head confused and asked why he had asked me the question.

"Because you are going to help me rewrite it."

By the time we had finished writing River's essays- the one he had initially crumpled as well as four others- it was dark and cool outside.

"Wow, I can't believe we're done with everything!" I said placing the papers in my hands and the banging them on the table a few times to straighten them all so I could staple them.

"Do you want to practise singing for a while?" I asked as I handed him the stack of papers. He shook his head no, and said, "It's okay."

I asked him a second time, wanting to make sure, but was met with the same response.

"It's so late, and your parents aren't back yet." He said stretching. He was now lying on my bed, acting as though he owned it.

I nodded and then lay next to him.

"Yup, they work really long hours."

I then realised that we hadn't yet eaten anything and got up from the bed. "Do you want something to eat?"

He nodded yes and then followed me to the kitchen. In all honesty, I never really expected him to help me with anything, so it was truly surprising when he actually did start helping me make the pasta.

"You are auditioning for the musical as well" He asked as he helped me dish out the piping hot pasta into to bowls.

"Yes of course, why do you ask?"

"I just want to make sure that you are there when I audition next week Friday."

I looked up and stared into his eyes which now avoided mine. River was truly something else.

"River, even if I was not auditioning, I would still go to your audition." I then stopped and placed a reassuring hand on his, "And if anyone dares laugh at you, I will beat them up!"

He chuckled at my comment and shook his head as he said, "You are so shy. I don't think you're capable of that."

"When it comes to protecting my best friend, I would do anything."

He stared at me flabbergasted for a moment, and then, after recovering, he ruffled my hair and then smiled. "So, that's a yes to being my best man?"

"As long as you don't marry Jenny, I'll be there!"

"The same goes for you and Jay."

By now we were sitting at the kitchen counter, eating our food.

"I thought you liked Jay?" I said placing some pasta in my mouth.

He shrugged but continued no further with the conversation. I never pressed further either, as I began to feel guilty. River had opened up to me quite a few times, and I had not returned the favour. I wondered for how long he would be patient with me, and I wondered for how long we would stay friends.

------

I am literally so excited to see where this novel is heading. I have so many great ideas!

Thanks for all your support and love, the reads on this book have been picking up which is quite good and encouraging.

Remember to read my novels: Vampires and Vampire Hunters as well as Secrets of an Omega on Goodnovel! Also, expect an update on Son of the Moon Goddess quite soon.

Until we meet again,

TJCharms