Chapter 1

My dad just stared at me in surprise.

"Sorry but I don't know what you're talking about." He said. Why is he lying to me? I saw him in that picture with me in my memory.

"Don't lie to me. I saw you. In my memory flashes. You left your family behind. You left me behind. Why did you do it?" I said. I'm tired of people lying to me. After all I've been through I could at least get the truth.

"Again I'm sorry but you're mistaken Maddie." He said. He looked around at the rest of us.

"You kids doing alright? I'm the reason you all are still alive and it's my intention to keep you that way. Now come with me we'll get you kids squared away." He said. Everyone followed and Newt came up beside me.

"What's wrong?" Newt asked.

"Something is off about him." I said.

"Well you did tell him you were his daughter so I wouldn't be surprised if he seemed confused." He said with a chuckle.

"But that's the thing." I said.

"What do you mean?"

"I never told him my name." I said. Newt's eyes grew in realization but then relaxed.

"I'm sure there's a simple explanation. Let's not worry about it now ok?"

"Ok." I said then we followed the rest of the group lead by my lying dad.

"You can call me Mr Janson. I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes." Janson explained. So my dad's name is Janson. Good to know. Mom didn't mention his name in my memory flash.

"Are you taking us home?" Thomas asked.

"A home of sorts. Sadly there wouldn't be much left of where you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge outside the Scorch where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?" Janson explained.

"Why are you helping us?" Minho asked.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanities continued survival. Unfortunately it also makes you a target. There's no doubt by now that you've noticed." Janson explained. He then stopped at a door.

"Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives." Janson said. The door opened and revealed a long white corridor that turns at the end.

"First things first. Let's do something about that smell." Janson said with a smile. We all looked at each other with a smile.

Boys went into one big shower locker room and me and Teresa went into the other. We both took our precious girly time. We didn't speak to each other we just soaked up the warmth and comfort of the shower. The water in the Glade was always cold and uncomfortable. But this was heaven.

***

I was sitting in a small room. The soldiers escorted me to here and told me to wait. Finally a lady walked in.

"You must be Maddie." The lady said.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Dr. Crawford." She said.

"Where are the others?"

"They are also getting tested."

"For what?"

"We just want to make sure you all are nice and healthy. I'm sure you've been deprived of many vitamins out there."

"Oh ok." I said. The doctor did a few simple tests. But the one that concerned me was when she scanned the back of my neck. She gasped.