Chapter Five

Beyoncé
October 14
Houston Texas

"Why did we wait this far after the funeral to bury this woman?" I asked Shawn. He was in front of me, carrying my mother's casket. I don't know why they had me carrying it as well like I'm just the strongest. Bitches.

"You asking the wrong one Beyonce."

"Oh you got a attitude with me Shawn?"

"Yeah, I do."

"I didn't do shit to you."

"Yes you did. Yeah, I fucked Yvonne, so what? I wanted to get with her in the first place."

I cocked my head back. "Well excuse me, mr. I wanna marry you, put some kids in you, put you up in a penthouse suite. That don't sound like the words of somebody who wanted to be with my sister. But by all means, be with her. Who am I to stop you?" When it was time for us to let the casket go, we did and they lowered her into the ground.

I didn't wanna stick around to watch people pretend to care about her. And I really didn't wanna stick around to watch my aunt Staish cry all hard to Jesus Christ, asking him to bring my mama back.

I rolled my eyes at the thought.

As I walked off, I could feel eyes on me. It was Shawn, of course.

"Aye playa, this ass? Not yours, so stop looking."

"Whatever. Where's my kid Beyoncé?"

I sucked my teeth. I need to get this man off my fucking back. "You wanna talk?"

"No. I want you to answer my question."

"Come on. Cause you not getting that answer here, it just ain't happening."

He sucked his teeth and followed me. I sat on the trunk of my car, swinging my feet. I took my heels off, sitting them beside me.

"I just want my answer Beyoncé, why are you taking me through all this?"

"'Cause it ain't nobody else's business boy."

"What aint?"

"Shawn, I was never pregnant by you. I had a child, yes. It just wasn't yours."

He chuckled. "Really Beyoncé? So you sat here and you lied to me this whole time?"

"This whole time? Boy please, we haven't even spoken. I lied to you one time."

"About something that big! I was thinking about that for fifteen years, trying to find a child that does not exist Beyonce! And that's your fault!"

"It is. And I apologize for that."

"Lie for what Beyoncé? You all for the truth and everything so what you lying to me for?"

"Because I knew you would talk. And if you told everyone that you had a child by me, nobody would ask me any questions."

"Any questions about what?! You tryna be mysterious Beyoncé when at the end of the day, you gon' have to tell me. Or somebody. I mean damn, you can't keep holding the truth from people then not expect them to want the entire truth."

"Uh... It's Solange."

"Solange is your daughter?"

"That's what I said, ain't it? I know you be running yo mouth around here but you can't tell nobody that."

"Why you tryna hide behind her being your sister?"

"'Cause technically she is."

It took him a minute to put the pieces together but once he did, his eyes got big.