After enough time passed, I think Pa was a little resentful of Ma. She left without a word, without a warning. Ma was taken over the Border, but why had she put herself in such a position? I think most of all, though, he resented that I had to grow up without a mother.

Pa looked like he was made of steel, but he had a heart of gold.

"Hm, I think she will marry soon. Maybe give you some karma for making me an empty nester at such a young age and leaving me all alone with Pop," Gran started to run around the kitchen, throwing spices here and there.

"So, what's on the agenda for the birthday girl tomorrow?" Pa tapped my head lightly.

"Well," I started, "I have a shift with Sandy in the morning, but then Memphis said he had something planned. I'm not sure what it is — I mean, he's probably not even sure what it is, either."

"I swear that boy is nothing but trouble, Sage," I could hear the disdain in his voice. Pa didn't like the idea of me hanging around boys, but he especially did not like the idea of me hanging around Memphis.

His family, while quite prominent in the Borderlands, was not known for being upstanding citizens. They definitely benefited from the lack of enforcement around the town.

"Pa," I warned. No matter how many times I told him Memphis was a friend — a good friend — Pa would not listen. Of course, if he heard Memphis was giving me contraband, Pa would be enraged, but Pa didn't need to know that.

I felt guilty, lying to Pa about Memphis and what we really got down to when we hung out. I shouldn't delight in something so wrong, but getting a glimpse at the Outside made the inside not feel as small.

"Oh, hush, Chuck. I know you're all in a huff about me saying Sage will be getting married, but you can't go off scaring every boy the girl encounters," Gran turned to face Pa, pointing her wooden spoon at him.

"I can try," he said shortly.

"Chuck," Gran was stern, "there is a limited number of men in this town, and I don't like the idea of my granddaughter dating a cousin like those Leroys, so you will be nice to any boy Sage brings home. I swear, I thought I was done parenting you when you became a parent yourself. I also quite like the idea of being a great-Gran. Annita would absolutely be beside herself."

Gran went back to stirring the contents of one of her pots. I was quickly munching on Gran's homemade bread left on the table. I could tell by the dwindling light that I should be heading to bed soon. I had work early in the morning, and I really didn't want to sleep in again.

"Ew! Pa!" Pa had tried to give me one of engulfing hugs, but I scooted away, not wanting to have to bathe before work since he was covered in soot. It was always such a hassle to get a bath going. "I'm going to head to bed. I don't think Sandy will take it very lightly to me being late again."

✷ ✷ ✷

"I don't understand you sometimes, Sage. You're usually always late, but on a day I would tolerate you being late, you're actually early," Sandy greeted me, as she got her stall in the market ready for opening.

Sandy was an artist. She mostly stuck to making pottery and dishware — they were the things that sold the best since they were so practical — but she did have a few paintings and knick-knacks up for sale.

Her hair matched her name, long tousles of ashen hair framed her face. Her hair was quite unruly, not that she ever tried to tame her Lion's man, as she called it. Just as she didn't like to be tied down, she didn't like to tie down her hair.