Chapter Six

I can't believe that I'm actually nearly to 200 reads! For some authors it might not seem much but I can't even express the gratitude I feel towards you! So THANK YOU! Please keep on voting and sharing and I'd REALLY love it if you could comment, even just a few words.

PS: 2016 now= About two years since I started this story, and let me just tell you... 220K + reads! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! So thank you so much to all of you old and new readers for supporting this story <3

...°...

"I'm sorry about tonight..." Brad says, turning around completely in his seat and watching my reaction carefully as I get out of the car without a word. "I'll see you on Monday at school though right?" I feel suddenly bad for being so cold to him when he's expressing real concern in his words. I let out a sigh and cast my eyes to him with what I hope is at least a bit of excitement.

"Yeah, I guess so... Thanks anyway..." I force out with barely audible breathing. I'm still not completely recovered from the attack at the party, and I don't think I ever will be. My mind is pounding with too many things. Questions are still buzzing around in my head and have been since we left the party:  who was that guy? What does he want?

What does Jay have to do with any of this? Last time I checked, he was just an average college student. Okay maybe not 'average', since he's always brooding and seems to want to kill everyone at school with his dark and piercing eyes... But you get me!

A/N: Okay, so since I changed the setting since it's more familiar to me and placed the story in the England, 'high school' in America is considered to be 'college' in the UK. Hopefully that clears up any confusion ;-)

With no answers, these heavy questions result in a painful head ache. I try to keep up a calm facade in front of Brad but when I escape the warmth of the inside of the car to join the biting frost outside, it becomes to much and I close the door without another word. I hurry up the porch steps and struggle to find my keys, rummaging through my bag until my fingers connect with cold metal. I pull them out and insert them into the lock, twisting the door knob and opening it up to a dark and soundless hall. I hurriedly walk inside and turn around, offering a half-hearted wave in Brad's direction. He waves back from the rolled-down window of his car, before driving off. I follow the car with my gaze until it's disappeared, fully engulfed in darkness. 

With a long sigh I drop my bag to the floor and take of my heels, feeling extremely grateful when my bare feet touch the wooden floor. I feel the ache in my muscles there but the relief is too big for me to care much about that. I walk through the entrance hall and pass the open dining and kitchen area, before walking through an archway to join the living room. This room is another one of the rare ones that have been fully decorated by Alice's amazing skills in interior design. Light and dark colours clash together with wooden and stone textures, as well as fluffy pillows, cozy lights and rustic artefacts. My favourite part of this room is the beautifully carved stone fireplace in the middle of the wall facing the archway that I've come in through, with a coffee table and a couch decorated with pillows and blankets in front of the crackling fire. Alice is seated comfortably in the unique armchair next to the fireplace, wrapped snuggly in a fluffy blanket. She's finally doing something other than texting.

She looks up from the book, which I recognise as The Fault in Our Stars, and her eyebrows crease with confusion at my disoriented face. I must look exhausted. 

"Already home?" She asks in a concerned tone when I glance at the clock and read  22:03. I nod faintly and offer a slight smile,  and just as I'm about to go up the stairs, Alice's voice stops me: "By the way, I've got something to tell you..." I wait for her to keep going and she sighs, obviously nervous about telling me. "I was lying when I told you that I wasn't seeing anyone..."  She begins, waiting for any explosive reaction from my part. I remain impassive. I was sure about that anyway, even though I'm quite disappointed that she'd chosen to hide that from me.