XXXIV

|Off...|

"You want to know about him?"

"Well... where should I start?"
__

- W E D N E S D A Y -

"Vernon! Vernon!" Joshua called out as he ran down the grassy field, behind him ran a taller boy Vernon had a feeling he's met before.

Joshua got to Vernon, who stood at the side walk. The boy was originally waiting for traffic to calm down so he could cross the road to school but now that Joshua was here, Vernon decided he would wait a moment.

"Did you walk to school today?" Joshua asked, his lungs filled with heat as he breathed heavily.

"No." Vernon said. "I got a drive."

"Oh. Haha why didn't they just drop you off at the front of the school?" Joshua asked, he adjusted his backpack on his shoulder. "Crossing the road in the mornings is kinda dangerous."

Vernon stared at Joshua blankly.His eyes then shifted from the smiling boy to the one next to him that was slightly taller.

Vernons eyes glued to the other boys intense glare. Vernon was sure he'd seen this guy before but he didn't know when. But the way he was looking back at him, made him think the guy did.

"Hey... wait." The guy suddenly spoke up and Vernon got a bit startled and stumbled back.

"Ah." Vernon tripped on the curb of the sidewalk and in that moment the bigger guy took him by the collar of his shirt and stopped him from moving any further back.

"Whoa there." The guy took Vernon's skinnier arm and pulled him in a bit into the circle of Joshua and him.

"Vernon you have to be careful!" Joshua exclaimed, he wrapped his arm around Vernon's with a gentle smile. "You almost fell into traffic. Just like I said before, mornings are too dangerous for crossing the road. Next time tell your folks to drop you off at the front."

Vernon furrowed his eyebrows. "Folks?"

Joshua perked his head up. "Ya, like parents."

"Parents..." Vernon mumbled.

"Yup, as I thought." The guy spoke again. "You're the same kid from last time, the one who fell into the road."

Suddenly the serious look the boy held turned soft and funny as he laughed. "The one I said 'put him on suicide watch he's tryna jump on the road' haha man we gotta stop meeting like this."