viii - rain and change

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈:
       rain and change...

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈:       rain and change

... november 1, 1993

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐀 𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐃 as she slowly pried her eyes open and shifted against her position on the floor. she squinted, her eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room, only to see the illuminating stars of the great hall roof.

she felt someone's warm, but clammy hand suddenly pressed on top of her cold ones. she flinched, jerking her hand away, and immediately snapped her head to her right where she saw the piercing green eyes of harry's and an innocent smile plastered across his features. 

"har-" nova began to croak out.

he pressed a finger up to her lips, signaling for her to be quiet. he shook his head, refraining her from saying more. she frowned, and mentally debated whether she should lick his finger to get it off her face. as if harry had suddenly read her mind, or had read her mischievous expression, he instantly detached his finger from her lips-- nova sticking her tongue out childishly at him. 

harry rolled his eyes but pointed just above his head where nova saw the headmaster and snape talking. her eyes widened when nova realized that harry was listening in on their conversation.

'harry no!' she mouthed at him.

'why not?' he mouthed back, still listening in on their conversation.

"it seems — almost impossible — that black could have entered the school without inside help. i did express my concerns when you appointed —" snape's voice interjected the two's silent argument.

both of them froze as they heard the voice of snape tell dumbledore.

nova furrowed her eyebrows before she suddenly panicked, thinking that dumbledore was bound to find out who her mother was, it's not like he was stupid, making her a clear culprit if snape were to think that there was inside help in the castle. 

"i do not believe a single person inside this castle would have helped black enter it," said dumbledore, and his tone made it so clear that the subject was closed that snape didn't reply. "i must go down to the dementors," said dumbledore. "i said i would inform them when our search was complete." 

and with that, he promptly turned on his heel and marched his way out the double doors, nova letting out a breath that she didn't realize that she was holding in.

harry had turned his back to the girl, talking with both hermione and ron, but nova took no notice.

she swallowed hard and shut her eyes tightly — her hand wiping the cold sweat that broke out on her forehead.