iii- opening up

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈𝐈:
opening up...

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈𝐈:     opening up

... september 1, 1993

𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐋, harry had given nova a comforting smile, and the duo slowly made their way into the great hall, swarmed with students.

"you should tell ginny, she's your friend after all," harry whispers in her ear.

nova slowly nods, contemplating the idea.

'that's not even half of it' she thinks glumly.

"look, she won't make fun of you for it. ginny's a kindhearted girl. i know her, really- no don't look at me like that," harry says.

nova had raised her eyebrows at harry and laughs, shaking her head.

harry smiles before he reluctantly turns away from nova, trusting that she'll do so whenever she's ready. he faced the sea of pointed hats that were all moving quite slowly.

"potter! i want to see you!" a voice calls out. both of them turn to see a beckoning professor mcgonagall.

"go on, i'll meet you later," nova responds with a small nod towards the teacher

harry nods and gives her a small smile and pushes his way though the crowd to the professor as nova watches as he moves all the way down the corridor till he turned the corner.

continuing her way towards the great hall, she searched the sea of students for ginny. spotting ginny's read hair, she pushed her way though the crowd she tried to get to her.

"i'm sorry, excuse- thanks, so sorry! oh excuse me!"

nova pushed and pushed through the crowd till she was right behind ginny and luna, who she could've sworn she didn't see. she tapped ginny's shoulder.

ginny whipped her head around, "where were you?" she says. "you just disappeared for the last hour!"

"i'll tell you later," trying to not focus on ginny's demeaning glare on her face and nova dragged ginny to the end of the large table for the gryffindor. "trust me it's important."

luna bade the two girls goodbye and made her way separately to the ravenclaw table.

ignoring ginny's questioning and very much still glaring face, nova sits next to ron. nova doesn't think she wants to tell ginny everything, not yet at least. sighing, she puts her head in her hand, and closes her eyes. she listened to the chorus of the frog choir, the throaty croak's of the animals. she could hear the names of the first years being called up one by one. shaking her head she sits back upright. she looks up and blinks. the sorting was already finished and professor flitwcik was carrying the stool down the middle of the tables.

she saw harry and hermione standing in the doorway and waved them both over. some people pointed at harry as he walked down the aisles -- the news of him collapsing from a dementor, she thought.

"what was that all about," ron muttered to harry once he and hermione had slid into the seats opposite from him.

but right as harry opened his mouth to speak, dumbledore stood up and began talking.

"welcome!" he began brightly. "welcome to another year at hogwarts! i have a few things to say to you all, and one of them is quite serious i think it's best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

dumbledore cleared his throat. "as you will all be aware after their search of the hogwarts express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of azkaban, who are here on ministry of magic business."

"they are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even invisibility cloaks," he added blandly.

and harry and ron glanced at each other.

"it is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. i therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. i look to the prefects, and our new head boy and girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

there was a thoughtful silence in the hall as dumbledore's usually twinkling eyes made a sweep across the sea of students.

"on a happier note," he continued, and went on to introduce professor lupin with the job as defense against the dark arts. however, hagrid had also been given the care of magical creature's post.

"we should've known!" ron roared, pounding the table. "who else would have assigned us a biting book?"

"well, I think that's everything of importance," said dumbledore. "let the feast begin!"

once the girls were all finished eating and were in their respective dorms getting ready for the night, nova had given up wholeheartedly on a plan and decided to just tell her.

"hey, what's up? why do you look so troubled?" ginny asks with a frown sitting on her bed that was next to nova's.

nova just lets out a large sigh, sitting criss cross facing ginny on her bed. looking down at her socks she says, "do you know who my parents are?"

just as ginny opened her mouth to respond, but before she could, hermione came running into the second year's dorms, newspaper waving violently in her hands. the evening prophet folded up to the very first page with a rather large headline.

bellatrix's daughter at hogwarts? fact or fiction? friend or foe?