56

Final Warning

"Nelly, are you okay in there?"

I hold my own hair back as my face rests buried within my porcelain throne. My eyes shut at the fear of any splashes of last night bouncing off of the water and hitting me in the face. I imagine if that happens, I'll be vomiting up my disgust with the idea of toilet water being on my face instead of my body's original mission to empty my stomach of the alcohol consumed last night up until this early, early morning.

DeVante's been away for a month and I guess you can say that I'm not taking it too well.

When I left to Minnesota, he wrote some of the most beautiful, soul touching lyrics that I have ever read in my life. One thing led to another and we agreed that as painful as it'd be, it would be a good idea for Jodeci to simply isolate and finish the album. This was already a failed plan but DeVante and I thought it was worth a second shot. They hoped to go to Baltimore, originally. It was set for them to do that after the tour but DeVante ended up in the hospital among many other things going wrong with Jodeci, like always. Life just did not want it. So, they've moved everybody back up to Rochester and they're going to try one more time.

To my knowledge, it has been going quite well. I know DeVante will be home soon. Hopefully, it'll be before Easter. He said St. Patrick's Day when we last spoke about it but the 17th was five days ago. I won't ask him about it. He straight up told me last time I asked that I better not ask him again. He doesn't like it because it makes him want to come home and he's really trying to finish so he can stay home until touring and promo starts. His temper's slowly getting more testy everyday and I don't have the time nor the energy for him fussing the way he did when I got home from Minnesota. All I did was tell him that he needed some sleep and he snapped. We've been through this before with his drinking. We just need to find a mutual ground. We'll be fine. We're strong enough.

"Nelly, open the door!"

I finished my program yesterday and as a result, I was given an early acceptance into NYU's business school. Yes, I'm going back to school. I want to at least have my bachelor's when I run this agency and line so I can do what I want without having to stop at too many checkpoints. I've been involved with plenty of businesses and I do have a few partners I am linked to on a few endeavors. However, I want to do this by myself and I think I can do it alone for the long haul if I take the proper precautions early on. This is going to be my baby in the making very soon.

Pulling my head out of the toilet, I scream back at my cousin from where I sit. "Lenny, I'm in here throwing up!"

"Exactly! Open the door so I can help!"

Lenetta's come such long way and I'm so, so, so, so proud of her. From growing up beneath the strict rules of my aunt and uncle to being a full time business woman living in New York City. She came here before me when her office was transferred here. That must be what being editor and chief of a major magazine can do for you. She has her own platform. She doesn't need me! The platform is high and she poses on it well. I am truly just so proud of her. Her being a short three years my junior makes her far better off than I was considering she's had zero mental breakdowns. She's stress free and thriving!

"I'm okay!" I lift myself from the toilet, flushing it as I lean over the sink. "I'm fine, Lenny. I'll be out in a second." My head dips underneath the faucet to rinse my mouth out as I brush my teeth with the intent of scrubbing my tastebuds clean of pretzels and tequila.

When I feel refreshed enough, I rise up and pick a mint up from the tray beside our toothbrush holder. I take a moment to truly look at myself for the first time in a long while. My hair is the longest it has been since I was a teenager. The last time it was nearly this length, I got into an argument with Prince and cut it off to prove a point... It's a long story, don't ask. The woman who'd gone to such extremities at that time is only a shell of who I am today. Although these heavy bags beneath my eyes could put up a fair argument. They formed over the course of DeVante's absence. All of these night where I have stayed up later than I should have to be alert when he calls are finally catching up to me. Others, I stayed up late with Jared to drive up to Rochester and spend a day or two with him.