8

Real Special

My fingers rest on my thigh with the pillow lodged between my legs to keep my core from throbbing too much. If it happens to get too far out of my control, I'll need to get off the phone to handle myself then, call him back. I refuse to let him get me there without touching my body.

"What'chu get me for Christmas," He asks genuinely curious.

Shrugging out of natural habit, I turn over in my bed with the phone still close to my ear. "Look, you wouldn't tell me so why should I tell you, huh? Let's keep it real."

"Ai'ight, Imma remember that."

I giggle into the phone. "You soundin' a little bitter over there, boo. Feelin' some type of way or what?" I love teasing him. He never takes it to heart but he knows how to put up a good fight and that's something else that makes him cute. "Huh? I'm not hearing anything?" I wish I could be there to tease him for the album release party. I'd promised Thaila long before we were dating that this year I'd be here for the seven day countdown to Christmas.

"You talkin' hella shit like you don't got a pillow between ya' legs... don't act like you don't miss me."

Snatching the pillow from between my legs, I keep my gasps internal. "Now who said all that?"

"You don't got to say shit. I just know, you feel me?"

I roll my eyes and sit up in my bed. I always seem to forget that he's one of the cocky ones. He loves to swear he knows what he's talking about. Sure, 90% of the time he does but he don't need to know that. It simply amazes me that a man can be that confident in his sex appeal. De knows he's the shit even when he's not trying... I don't know if that offends me or turns me on. I'm pretty sure that's a conversation for later. "You know I got you when you get back here, Nel."

"I doubt it. If that's what keeps your male ego throbbin' then..." I shrug again. Shrugging seems to be a new bad habit of mine developed from hanging around him too much.

DeVante smacks his lips loudly. "Nah, that's you! You the one always talkin' allat talk on the phone. Don't act like I ain't bout mine!" He mumbles slightly annoyed, "Already know, I put that ass to sleep every time."

"You know what, I'm not doing this with you."

"Shiiiit, we gone see." We laugh together, you can hear him digging through a box of tapes and that's how I know exactly where he is. I already had a solid guess regarding his whereabouts. All he's doing is confirming them all. "We gone party when you get here too."

Waving my hands at his nonsense, I make my decision very clear. "Nah, nah, nahhhh." Check this out, this saying's going to sound super familiar but it's the best way to explain. Ain't no party like a Jodeci party because a Jodeci party don't stop.

I don't get back to New York until New Years Eve and of course, everybody and they mama is going to be doing something they don't have any business doing. Partying with the boys is cool and all but if you saw them last year? Girl, you'd be saying the same thing I'm saying. I hadn't been that drunk in years. Very itty bitty pieces of that night are still missing and it's secretly making me wonder if March really is the first time I had sex with DeVante.

"You said you was finna party! Nah, you gone be there cause I'm gone be there." He sends himself into a worked up rant induced by his one-sided annoyance. "You gone be there. I'm gone get some booty– shit, maybe some play. We gone have a good time and everything gone be ai'ight."