Chapter 2 (REMADE)

Chapter 2 is here now. Hope you all enjoy it. I don't know if Beacon doesn't do anything on weekends, so I'm making it to where they don't have to do any work.

Edit: finally finished the remake for this chapter. Sorry it took so long, I got distracted.

(2nd POV)

It was a bright and sunny Saturday morning in Vale. Ruby and her teammates had decided to begin the hunt for the Nightmare Flames as soon as they could. Everyone was all dressed, ready to go, and then they learned one thing that would stop them.

"YOU LOST THE MAP!?"

Weiss shook Ruby around like a ragdoll. In the process of expressing her anger, you woke up and floated over to Blake and Yang. You noticed the map in the corner of the room, behind a box, but you weren't able to point it out. If you flew too far or where they couldn't see you, they'd get mad at you.

"Couldn't we just get a new one from Professor Ozpin?" Blake suggested.

Weiss dropped Ruby, who fell like a puppet whose strings were cut, and joined you, Blake, and Yang in front of the door.

Ruby whined, "But I don't want to give up on finding it! Why make Ozpin waste a map when we could just search?"

"'Cause it would be faster and we don't have all day to search for these flame things. Even if it's Saturday, we still have to be back before it gets dark," Yang explained. "If you really want to, we could put it to a vote and go with whatever gets picked."

"Good idea! Who wants to keep searching?" Ruby said and raised her hand.

She waited, "...anyone? Weiss?"

"No."

Not even you raised your hand, you wanted to be able to speak and get stronger faster. Ruby looked down with the expression of a kid who just got told he couldn't have a toy when shopping for groceries, but then looked back up, smiling.

"It's settled! We're going to get a new map!" She exclaimed as she joined the four of you.

Getting into the elevator to Ozpin's office, Weiss immediately stood in front of the buttons to prevent Ruby from causing trouble. She then pressed one, and only one button, the one to the office. The elevator ride was much shorter, the doors opened less than a minute after they last closed. Ozpin was waiting, looking at the elevator. He already had a map on the table for the five of you. When Ruby grabbed the map, thanking him of course because it would be rude not to, different locations suddenly showed little red fires.

Ozpin noticed her confusion and explained, "These are the places you'll need to go to find the Nightmare Flames. Wearing the Charm and having the Grimmchild around-"

"(Y/N)."

"My apologies, I didn't know you had named him. Having the Charm equipped and (Y/N) around will reveal any locations with Nightmare Flames to you on any map you have, even if you had not previously owned the map, or had a map digital map."

They thanked him and rushed out of Beacon, leaving Ozpin to continue thinking about why the Grimm Troupe had arrived. One Nightmare Flame was somewhere in the Emerald Forest nearby. Everyone jumped on the launch pads and activated them, launching them into the forest. They all grouped up at the same spot. However, once you all landed, you split off from your mothers. They tried to call you back to them, but something was making you go.

You found a torch, designed similarly to Grimm's cloak. Sitting down by it, you patiently waited for Ruby to catch up, and only her. She seemed relieved when she saw that you were ok, however fear quickly built back up when red barriers were suddenly set up around you. Weiss, Blake, and Yang hit the barriers as hard and as much as they could to try and break them, but nothing worked.

A Grimmkin Novice appeared in a puff of smoke, lighting the torch, and disappearing with it. Its laughter echoed even though it seemed to be nowhere. It teleported in and rushed at Ruby, ramming into her and knocking her down. She quickly jumped back up and pulled out her high-caliber sniper-scythe, Crescent Rose. It reappeared and she shot instantly, hitting it, but it acted as if the attacks did nothing. The Novice shot three fireballs in a spread kind of pattern. Ruby dodged and countered with another shot. It laughed as it got hit, as if this was all some little game, and disappeared again. It tried to run into her again, only for Ruby to dodge and make it hit a tree.

That's what she thought would happen at least. The Novice phased through the tree like it wasn't there before teleporting away again. Whenever it attacked, it let out little grumbling noises like it was reciting spells or taunting. The patterns of fireballs and the ramming continued until it died. The Grimmkin Novice cackled loudly and exploded into red smoke. This red smoke, along with the flames from the torch, flew into you. You felt stronger, and the Charm glowed red for a second.

Ruby put her scythe down and fell backwards onto the grass, exhausted and waiting to rest. If this was the novice, she thought, then how horrible were the rest gonna be? You joined her, laying on her chest and curling up like a small cat. The barriers disappeared, and your other moms rushed over to Ruby.

"You ok?" Yang asked, concerned for her sister.

Ruby replied tiredly, "Yeah, I'm fine... I just didn't expect any fighting, I thought this was gonna be easy!"

Weiss, Blake, and Yang helped her up while you floated back into her hood. She pulled the map back out to find the second Grimmkin Novice. After a short trip through Vale, you arrived at the forest where they first met you and your father. Like before, you led the way to the torch and a battle ensued. Now that Ruby knew the strategy to beat up a Grimmkin Novice easily, she got through the fight much faster.

(Timeskip, still 2nd POV)

Everyone was back in Beacon. They felt proud of themselves for working so quickly. They went to their beds, ready to rest after a day full of work. Work for Ruby, at least. You floated over to the extra pillow Ruby had bought just for you. There was only one more Grimmkin Novice to deal with, and it was a location you would be going to pretty soon. Then, once you get stronger, you'll have to fight stronger enemies. It's only going to get harder from here.

Here's chapter 2. 907 words put into this one, with another few hours of writing. I really hope you all enjoy this little idea of mine.

Edit: 1,079 words, not too much but more than the original. It's December 4, 2021. I'm feeling better about these remakes! Let me know what you think about them in the comments, please, so I can make sure I'm doing good, because I'm kind of getting worried about this.

Anyway, I'm going to end this here. Goodbye, for now.