BONUS CHAPTER

Clutching my purse in my left hand and Griffin's bicep in my right, I enter the elementary school auditorium. It doesn't take us long to find the Beaufort clan; all six of them are in the front row.

Griffin and I say hello and take our seats next to my parents. We arrived just in time, because as soon as we settle into the uncomfortable theater chairs, the lights dim.

Spotlights land on a woman standing center stage with gray hair, thick glasses, and a pear-shaped figure. "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," she greets us. "Welcome to the second grade talent show."

Everyone cheers, but nobody else in the crowd is as loud as us. Poor Evangeline.

"I'm Principal Berry, and I am honored to be surrounded by so much young talent," the old lady gushes. "This year, we have a collection of comedians, musicians, artists, and storytellers. Without further ado, let's give it up for our second grade class!"

Another round of applause. This time, I tone it down, not wanting to humiliate Vange before she even steps on stage.

I feign interest in the other students, stifling yawns as they sing their songs and tell their jokes. A blonde boy named Nash is particularly awful, with a three-minute-long presentation of armpit farts. Another boy, Remington, who sings a cover of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful," is semi-talented, although the tune in question is not my favorite. Songs about guys who get high and see a hot girl on the subway have never been my thing.

When Principal Berry announces that it's Evangeline's turn to perform, I rise from my seat and shriek so loudly that the Karen behind me hisses at me to sit down.

"Bet your kid was Armpit Fart Boy," I mumble, eliciting a loud chuckle from my boyfriend.

Evangeline peeks her head out from behind the red curtain. She looks nervous, but when she sees her family in the front row, she smiles and rushes to center stage.

My mom styled her hair into two braids and dressed her in an emerald green jumper. She looks adorable, albeit a tad uncomfortable. She adjusts the mic so that it's a level with her face and clears her throat.

"Um, hello," she begins. "M-my name is Evangeline Rose Porter, and today I'll be reading an original story called 'The Little Princess Who Could'."

I turn around and smirk at Karen. "That's my niece," I whisper, "and she's going to win."

The middle-aged woman shakes her head. "What are you talking about? This is a talent show for children. There are no win—"

"She's going to win."

"Once upon a time," Evangeline reads, "there was a princess named Diamond. She was brave, intelligent, and fiercely independent. She didn't need a man."

"Did you tell her to write that?" Griffin murmurs.

"I may have stated that the princess didn't need a prince," I say with a shrug.

"Princess Diamond loved her parents, King Jasper and Queen Ruby, but one day, a ferocious dragon attacked the castle. Her parents told her to hide in the cellar. She did as they asked and waited for the commotion to stop. When she finally left her hiding spot, she discovered that her beloved home was in her ruins, and that her parents, the king and queen, were dead.

"That was the worst day of the young princess's life. It was the day she became an orphan, but it was also the day she became a queen. Her parents were gone, and she was now in charge of the entire kingdom.

"Despite her sorrow, she had no choice but to take the throne. With the help of the royal advisors, she sought to not only restore the castle to its former glory, but also to make the kingdom better as a whole. She wanted to make everyone else happy, even though she wasn't happy herself.

"Her first royal decree was to end taxation on the poor and working class and distribute the wealth evenly. She didn't want anyone to go to bed hungry or without a roof over their head.

"Her second royal decree was to make peace with the neighboring kingdoms. She was tired of war and the violence that accompanied it. She'd witnessed enough violence for ten lifetimes.

"Her third and final royal decree was to make a special wing of the castle in which all parentless children would live. She'd seen the conditions of the nearby orphanages and was disgusted. She wanted all children to feel special and loved, and there was no better place than in her home with her, a fellow orphan.

"Princess Diamond was able to make the kingdom better than it had ever been. She did it without her mother and father—and without a man. She realized she could do anything she set her mind to. Helping others helped her heal. She would never forget her parents, but she knew that she would be alright. The end."

Tears blur my vision as I stand up and clap for my girl. I'm not the only one. A roaring applause fills the auditorium. Even the Karen behind me lets out a loud wolf whistle.

Evangeline, unsure of what to do, waves awkwardly before curtsying and exiting the stage. I laugh, not surprised in the slightest. She's always been a shy one.

To my relief, she's the last performer. Principal Berry returns to the stage and thanks everyone for coming. I sneak out while she's halfway through her speech, eager to find Evangeline before the rest of the family can get to her.

The little author-to-be is with a group of kids in the hall. They're all talking and laughing, still buzzed from their five minutes of fame.

"Vange!" I call out.

When she sees me, a megawatt smile tugs at her lips. She runs into my arms and hugs me tightly.

"God, I'm so proud of you," I say. "You were great up there."

"Thanks." She blushes scarlet. "I was kinda nervous."

"Couldn't tell. You nailed it, kiddo. You totally won."

"There's no winner. Principal Barry didn't want to make it a compet—"

"Well, in my eyes, you won." I ruffle her dark and lead her back into the auditorium, where everyone else is waiting to congratulate her.

"So, um, did you see Remington Williams's act?" the seven-year-old questions me.

"The James Blunt cover artist? Yeah, I saw him. Why?"

"He was really... wow."

"Drop it, Vange," I say with a chuckle. "You're still too young for boys."