14

taylor

i hadn't seen charlie all day.

monday's usually went like that — most of the classes we shared together were later in the week unfortunately. my lips still tingled from the kiss. i was unusually jittery today, as though someone had injected me with enough sugar and caffeine to give a water buffalo a heart attack. finally. as if walking into science wasn't nerve wracking enough, when i made eye contact with charlie my insides caught flame. trying to conceal the fact my head was buzzing, i shot her a small smile and went to sit by her.

she turned to me, freezing me in place with the hazel eyes, "about what happened the other day," she began in hushed tones but whatever she was about to say was ripped out of her mouth as the fire alarm rang. i wasn't alarmed at first; we had routine fire drills all the time but then i caught sight of mr parkers expression. blank fear. heart hammering, i turned to charlie who was extremely pale.

"okay everyone," mr parker found his voice, "follow me." he slipped his pea green sweater over his nose and motioned for everyone to copy him. i obeyed, fear swirling through me. out in the corridor, it was as if someone had opened an oven door — heat hit my face — sweat was already starting to soak my clothing. smoke choked me, stinging my eyes and throat and making it nearly impossible to breathe. hardly able to see, i stumbled after my classmates and out into the sunlight.

i took in the sweet, sweet air and followed everyone into the field. only when we were lining up, did i realise someone was missing. blind panic threatened to overwhelm me but i forced myself to stay calm. flames licked over the building as i rushed to mr parker, "sir, charlie's not here, she's still inside," i gasped out. the professor gulped, "stay calm — we've called the fire brigade and they'll be here soon."

"we don't have time," i hissed, "we have to get her out now." facing the building, a sense of deadly calm settled over me. i never meant for things to get out of proportion so quickly, but as i stared at the wall of flames i saw no other option. i broke free of the crowd and sprinted head first into it.

yells sounded out behind me, but i blocked their warnings out. the fire exit was half collapsed by now, but i kicked the remains aside and ducked into the building. almost immediately my eyes began to water. unable to get in air, my throat stung so badly i couldn't even cry out in pain. a piece of the ceiling collapsed as the flames  devoured it. but as i leaped backwards to avoid it, my hand collided with a metal handle of a classroom.

i screamed, my mind blank for a moment, pain enveloping me as heat seared my fingers. through the agony, i caught sight of something inside the classroom — a girl lying motionless among a pile of textbooks. charlie. summoning the last of my strength and painfully aware of time running out, i backed up then ran at the door, my leg shooting out and slamming into it. again, again, again.

finally it gave way, i stumbled inside collapsing on the floor beside one of the only people i've ever cared for. the floor was hot to the touch but i could hardly feel it. fire circled the classroom, i turned to a window. lord save me. i crawled to my feet, retching with smoke intake, fumbling for a chair. the metal burned my hands, tears cut clear tracks through the soot on my cheeks, i was sobbing now.

lifting the chair with weak arms, i threw it against the window. again, again, again. it felt like my skin was melting off, i was so tired, so tired. my arrogance betrayed me; i couldn't do this, i couldn't save her. i was going to die. i am going to die. and then the glass shattered. unable to breathe, i heaved charlie over my shoulders and climbed through the window, the jagged points slicing my legs, already burnt hands and arms.

i collapsed on the grass, through blurry eyes, i saw my classmates rushing towards me, a fire fighter went to attend charlie while another crouched beside me. "are you okay?" he asked, though i could hardly hear him. and then i was throwing up, my eyes steaming, convulsions so violent it felt like my ribs were breaking.

again.

again.

again.

sorry i havent updated i didnt have any wifi <3