Chapter Twenty Three

As soon as Bea heard the news from her mom, she drove all the way to Manila to see if her dad is doing fine.

"Bea!" Loel called when he saw Bea entered the hospital building.

Bea rushed into her kuya's arms. "What happened? How's dad?"

"Bea, I'm glad you're here." Her mom cries as she approaches Bea and hugged her.

Bea consoled her mom as she look at Ponggay.

"How is he, Pongs?" Bea asked.

"He had a heart attack, Bea. He was put into surgery awhile ago, luckily we revived him but his heart is still weak. We ran more test to know what's wrong. For now, he's under observation." Ponggay pat Bea's arm.

Bea nodded. "Thank you."

"He is going to be ok, mom." Bea said as Det continues to cry on her shoulders.

After awhile, Loel and Det had to fix errands and so Bea was left with Ponggay.

They were sitting on the chairs along the hospital's corridors, both leaning on the wall.

"I missed you here." Ponggay said.

Bea turned to her.

"I've always wished that you'd come back here you know. But not like this. Not as visitor or not as someone.."

"Who's family member is dying?" Bea continued.

"Who's family member is sick." Ponggay corrected.

She pat Bea's shoulders. "He's going to be fine, Bea."

Bea sat straight. "Pongs, be honest with me."

Ponggay sat straight too and nodded.

"How bad is his condition?"

Ponggay sighed. "I am afraid he'll be needing another surgery, worse, a transplant. And you know how long the list is."

Bea sighed and nodded. "So what do we do now?"

"We wait, Bea. For now, pumasok sa kwarto niya and ve with him." Ponggay pat her shoulders and left Bea.

Bea sighed and stared at her dad's room.

On the other hand, Jhoana is facing her own struggle.

As soon as they heard the news, Jhoana's political party held a meeting on her offices. Ella and Alyssa are present. Jhoana's mom and dad are there too.

"Alleged overspending of funds?" Lovel reads the subpoena that was shown to their team.

"Who would do this? What was in the report?" John asked. He was furious.

"What is their basis? Bakit ang bilis atang naitaas ito sa Ombudsman?" He scanned the papers.

Lovel immediately comforted him. She was caressing her husband's arms. "John, kumalma ka."

Jhoana is sitted on her chair, quiet. Elbows on her table, palms on her forehead. Quiet.

"Wala pa kaming full copy ng subpoena, tito but they said that the suspension is effective immediately." Ella said.

"Our team is doing the best that we could." She added.

"Kaninong initiative ito? May idea ba kayo?" Lovel asked.

John sighed. "Of course, the Madayags. Sino pa ba ang gahaman sa kapangyarihan dito?"

"Yeah but they know naman that if Jhoana steps down, si Alyssa ang next in command. Alyssa, who is part of our party." Sabi naman ni Ella.