A Sacrifice for Varkanah Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

Soon, he found a tiny break in the dense woods. He lay down his long walking stick and slung his pack from around his shoulders to set it carefully on the turf. Rubbing his aching shoulders gently, he sat down on the soft grass, still slightly damp from the morning dew.

He withdrew a few strips of dried meat from his pack, along with a full wineskin. Taking conservative sips from the skin—he only had one more after this; he had to make them last until he made it to another village—and less conservative bites from the meat, he lay back on the grass and closed his eyes for only a moment…

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Saeran Randsly, run away from home!” Saeran’s eyes popped open at the sound of the voice, haughty and proud. Lark Elford stood above him, stroking his hairless chin. Elves were not known for their capability for growing facial hair, much to Lark’s disappointment.

Saeran groaned.

“And here I thought that we were going to go to the tavern together and have a jolly good time. It seems that our friend doesn’t think Rosehollow Village is good enough for him anymore.”

“Tsk, tsk,” Hathien said, also standing over Saeran. “It’s not like you to leave without saying goodbye, Saeran.” She wore a long, blue dress with silver embroidery across the breast. “It would seem to be as you say, Lark.”

Saeran yawned, and got to his feet. “How did you find out?”

        “Did you actually believe that Cuthric could keep this secret?” asked Lark, seemingly incredulously. “Get one drink into that man and he’ll tell you a secret given to him by the High King himself!”

“And what of Drennan? Did you leave him in Rosehollow?”

Stepping into the midst of the trees surrounding them, was Drennan, his face downcast. “I am sorry, Saeran,” the boy said, his voice strained and weary. “I should have stayed, I should have obeyed you.”

One glance at Drennan’s light blue eyes almost wrenched tears from Saeran. His young cousin looked as sad as any man could be. His cheeks, while not wet from tears yet, were bright red in color. His breath came raggedly. “No, I am sorry, Drennan. I was being selfish.” Saeran walked over to his cousin and wrapped his arm around the boy’s shoulders.

“I feel terrible interrupting this touching moment,” Lark said, lying once again, “but we’d best get on the road if we are going to get to Valdi in time. I’m not sure how you expect to follow these killers, as any evidence will be long gone by the time we arrive there…”

Saeran shook his head. It took only one day for his lonesome adventure to be joined by three other people. He muttered a curse under his breath. “Fine, then. Let us get started. It will take much longer for four people to travel all this distance than it would for one.” He pointed his long walking stick in the direction of the road. “Let’s be off!”

And so, the true journey began. Lark Elford walked in the lead, his long Elven legs giving him greater speed than the others. “Come on, folks. Keep up!” he called back, without turning his head.

“What a thick-head,” Hathien muttered softly, for her ears alone.

“Pardon me, Miss Nerid?” Lark said loudly. “I’m afraid I didn’t hear you.”

She rolled her eyes.        

As the four of them walked along the Narrow Road, the already dense trees grew even thicker around them. Green vines hung from the dark canopy above, to dangle in front of their faces. More than once, Hathien squealed as she walked right into a hanging branch. She had never traveled this road.