I clenched my jaw, Shit… I hadn’t even noticed… but how was I supposed to know?

Even though I never ever ordered burgers… or pink lemonade.

We were soon eating, I had been quiet most of the time, to aggravated at myself for upsetting Devon. Even though it wasn’t my fault… I still felt guilty.

Devon looked up at me, “Where’d you get the scar on your eyebrow…?”

I looked at her, “Do you really want to know?”

She nodded, not caring about the consequences that might come if I did. “I Split my eyebrow open on the dash when we hit Trevor and Rachel head on.”

There was no use in sugar coating it anymore, she knew I was involved in the wreck. If we were going to live together, we needed to get the obvious out of the way.

“So what else happened?”

Shrugged, “I broke my arm and had some head trauma of course, my seat belt didn’t lock. It actually broke. Nelson… um…”

I was sure if I wanted to reveal to her about him just yet, but she was staring at me with those big blue eyes… I just couldn’t let her down. “Nelson… was paralyzed. From the waist down.”

She gasped, clutching her spoon in her right hand… I knew she felt horrible. I could see it, but I didn’t need her pity, besides, she had actually lost someone…

She looked down into her soup, “Rachel wasn’t wearing a seatbelt… Trenton was though… he’s in jail. Rachel… she um, flew out the windshield. Broke her neck and died instantly.”

I didn’t know why but I felt the need to comfort her in some way. I grabbed her left hand with my right, squeezing it, “Hey you don’t have to talk about this…”

She shrugged, “To be honest, I haven’t really talked to anyone about it since it happened… but I feel like I need to talk about it with you. Like I need to apologize… for what Trenton did to Nelson… it was his fault.”

“Devon… it was an accident, sure I blamed Trenton at first but… it’s over. It’s happened. And blaming someone won’t bring my boyfriends legs back.”

She nodded, “Or my best friend…”

I felt a twitch in my heart, it hurt, the pain… she was so upset, still not over what had happened. I felt horrible, talking about it now, but it was better to just get it out of the way.

“You and Rachel… were close?”

She nodded, it was a stupid question, because they were obviously best friends, but I wanted to know more about Rachel for some reason. Like I needed to know why she had such an impact on Devon’s life.

Devon spoke, “We were inseparable, we did everything together. I miss her so much it kills me… and then graduation night came… losing her… it was like losing a parent, a sister... I can never see her again… her smile… God she had such a pretty smile… but before she died we had fight.”

I tilted my head, “A fight?”

She nodded, “Well it wasn’t really a fight… we just had a falling out I guess but, that was then…”

She didn’t want to tell me what they had fought about, but it was a sensitive subject and I didn’t want to push her. I knew it was hard for her to talk about this, about Rachel, so I gave her space to breathe and think about it.

We finished up and started heading back to the campus, it was already getting late. How long had we stayed at the café?

We passed next to a bar, someone was playing a guitar outside, and it was my favorite song. It was a new song, Every Storm Runs Out Of Rain by Gary Allan. I smiled, “I love this song…”

Devon sighed, “Rachel played this song for me on her guitar… I fell in love with it.” I threw a dollar into his guitar case and we continued to walk. “You remind me of her… a lot.”

I glanced at her, “Why?”

“Because, the way to talk, the way you like that song… how you ordered at the café… even your eyes are similar.”

My eyes?

That was true! In the hospital… I had realized our eyes were identical. It was impossible, my eyes used to be dark green… now they were hazel, a light green with brown flecks.

Devon had even noticed that.

“Is that a good thing? That I remind you of her…?”

She shrugged, “Good and bad… I miss her, so when I look at you I see her, and it hurts me… but then it’s like having her back… even though I know you’re not her.”

We made it back into the dorm, I opened the door and we walked in. It was late, the sun was no longer out, and I was ready to crash, but I had to shower.

The dorm house I was in was small, so there weren’t that many people. I grabbed clothes, and then I noticed Devon was as well, “Going shower?”

She nodded, “Yea, before everyone decides to go at the same time.”

I smiled, following next to her into the shower room, “I feel like I’ve known you for years Amanda… but I’ve known you for two days.”

I nodded, “I feel that way to, to be honest.”

She walked into a shower, closing the door, and I did the same, stripping and turning on the water.

I wet myself and then I realized I had forgotten the soap in the dorm. I cursed, “Shit, hey Devon do you have soap?”

“Yea, one second.”

I waited, she was probably using it herself, and I hummed to myself. Then all of a sudden my door flung open, revealing a naked Devon, and she locked eyes with me, handing me the soap, “Here you go.”

I gasped, wanting to cover myself, and then not wanting to. My eyes traveled to her chest quickly and then back up to her face where there was an uneasy smirk, “What? Never seen a girl naked before?”

I shrugged, trying to play off my weirdness, I laughed, “I just didn’t expect you to be so… open.”

She shrugged, “I’m not insecure over my body.”

I laughed, “Obviously.”

We stood there, and then I realized what we were doing, so I started to close to door. I smiled, “See you when I’m done.”

She realized that we had been staring at each other for thirty seconds and agreed quickly, “Y-Yea, right.”

After that encounter I couldn’t stop thinking about Devon… and Devon’s perfect naked body.