Chp. 5

I drove up into the usual parking slot, grabbing my booksack and slinging it over my shoulder. I was excited, nervous, anxious, and scared all at the same time. It was a lot to handle, but I knew I was ready…

But I found myself wanting to see Devon again.

I unlocked the door, opening it only to reveal Devon still curled up in her light purple comforter. I smiled, she looked fucking cute.

Did I really just think that…?

I rolled my eyes to myself, I was ridiculous, these frikkin thoughts were driving me insane. She’s cute, sure, when she sleeps, no big deal, no reason to stare at her… Thinking someone was cute when they slept was normal… people did it all the time. Right?

I heard Devon stirring, and I continued to unpack as she realized I was here.

She had amazing bed head.

I groaned to myself, and then spoke, “Well now that you’ve slept half the day away… wanna grab some lunch?

Was I… taking initiative? I never did that. Ever. When did I suddenly become so straight forward and dominant?

She rubbed her eyes, “Yea sure, just give me a minute.”

I nodded as I let my eyes follow her out into the hall, then I noticed I had been staring at her ass. You’ve got to be kidding me…

She was back after brushing her teeth and hair, and she started getting dressed without even warning me she was changing. I spoke suddenly, “Um do you want privacy or…?!”

She laughed at my immatureness and shrugged, “We’re roomies now Amanda, it’s not a big deal.”

So she was comfortable around me, but I didn’t know if I was comfortable around her. I eyed her chest for a second as she slipped a shirt over her head, then I tore my eyes away. This was going to suck… was I really falling for her? So suddenly?

I never thought I was lesbian, or bisexual for that matter… maybe I was?

I meant I am in college now…

No. I’m not gay. Period.

She grabbed her keys, “Ready? I’ll drive.”

I shrugged, “I was thinking we could walk around campus and head to the little café they had down the street. But if you wanna drive…”

She shook her head, “I like that idea better.”

I smiled, “Let’s go then.”

We headed out, falling into conversation like we had known each other for years. I even felt like I did. I was careful to steer clear about the accident I had gotten into this summer though, I knew Rachel had died in it as well. Last thing I wanted was for her to break down and cry in the middle of the street.

We made it to the café and even thought I knew I had never been here before, I felt as if I had. Devon smiled, “I love this place, they have the best potato soup.”

We sat and the waitress approached us, asking us what we would like to drink and eat. I looked at her, “I would like a pink lemonade and a hamburger but cut it in half for me.”

I never ate burgers, but I was craving one, and when I looked at Devon I knew immediately something was wrong.

I tilted my head, “You ok?”

She nodded slowly, trying to push the thought she had to the back of her head. “Y-Yea it’s just… Rachel used to order the same exact thing…”