He still wore a smile on his face and his gaze was sincere as he stared at me straight in the eyes.

I knew what he was apologizing for. In the first place, the engagement happened because he allowed it to be so. There's no way, King Harlott would be stupid enough to oppose Volmilargs who have served the country since ages ago. Our status within the kingdom is not to be underestimated. Therefore, it can only meant that father consented to the engagement proposal.

"Please, do not apologize, father. You did it for the people." And I'm proud that you decided so.

I don't deserve the apology. Moreover, it's not needed. Because I also knew he did it for the future of the country.

Ten years ago, although the war with the barbarians was considered our win, the turmoil in the kingdom hasn't receded completely. The newly appointed King Harlott wasn't very welcomed. His position as a King was treated like a joke, not many people believe he could live up to his own title.

Therefore, the engagement between me and the Third Prince eight years ago, was to solidify the authority of King Harlott. To appease the citizens' worries of the kingdom's future. To tell them that the Volmilargs support the new King. And to ensure the kingdom would stabilize as time goes by.

It was a simple calculations made by King Harlott. Even though I kept saying he's stupid, he's actually quite clever. And father just cooperated with his plans, for the good of the country.

So, it's all fine.

"No." Papa denied as he shook his head.

"Half of it... was my selfishness." Once again, he stared straight in my eyes. The words he enunciated had a hint of disappointment. Disappointment directed towards himself.

"I... was... ashamed." He spoke with pause in between each words. He didn't know how to start explaining.

"I lacked respect towards the Royalties. Be it the previous king or the current king. They... don't have the qualifications... That I was seeking." He carefully chose his words to make it sound less aggressive to me, who is his eight-year-old daughter.

"The era prefers knights who honor their king... That saying was a thorn. I couldn't believe I wasn't a 'true knight'. A knight that I admire to be, perhaps I couldn't be it? That thought hurts my pride. My ego." His eyes sullen as he lowered his gaze.

"The engagement was to test my loyalty... But indeed. There was no such thing from the beginning." His words became confusing towards the end.

"I owe you an apology, Maridis. No matter what excuse or reason." He lifted his head to meet my eyes.

"And you deserve to not forgive me."

.
.
.

.

.
.
.
.

.

.
.

.
~Kirarin☆

Arin☆Is☆Back☆

Fwooosh! My exams ended around two weeks ago but only now I updated. ~☆

How's my exams?

Maths definitely almost killed me.

Let's not talk about other subjects.

And that's it kirarin~☆

So here's an extra; remember that I said Maridis' papa personality crumbled down into a coward?

Yeah, I'm including that failed chapter below.