Chapter XII.

It was only after the sun was setting that I remembered about the meeting.

Darn.

  Even though it was hard to run in heels I somehow managed, & it wasn't long before the carriage was prepared. Though Sally reprimanded me for running in a un-lady like way, I didn't mind.

  Throughout the whole ride I was cursing my carelessness; what if he already left? What if he's offended? What if he just-

                                                 ...

  It was only when I saw his back that I let out the long breath I was holding, & so I walked carefully. Sally was waiting in the carriage, & I was the only one in this public park, except him.

   'So, you're here only now,' he said turning back even before I could reach him- he didn't look particularly enraged, but neither did he have any expressions. 

   'You might be low on patience, but anyone loses that character when they've waited for a long time for someone who might not even come. Especially when that someone-'

  'I apologize,' I bowed down low; 'This was my fault,' I told him, & he stared at me with wide eyes.

 After a while, he burst out laughing; 'I like it.'

   'What?' I was surprised that he said something like that despite his mood few moments ago.

'I like that you can admit your fault, even though you're a noble,' he said with a small smile.

   '... Does being a noble have anything to do with admitting your own fault?' I asked after straightening my posture- if Sally saw me bowing down like this, she would nag me endlessly. I knew that, but I didn't know the reason. Why? What's wrong with admitting your fault? Is it a wrong thing?

   He stared at me with breathless silence for a while before he answered; 'Nobles are usually haughty with pride, & arrogance. I expected you to be same, after all even nobles with low status are worse than you.'

   '... Well, I may have no patience but I respect my partners,' I told him, & took out the bag of gold coins; 'The rest of your payment.'

  'I like your attitude,' he said, ignoring the bag, & took out the small ring- my eyes gleamed at its sight; 'May I?' he asked holding out his other hand, & I nodded, giving him the coins.

  For some reason, he burst out laughing, & he put the coins away with disinterest; 'I meant your hand.'

  '...'  It was only after I realized what he was trying to do, that I put my hand on his palm, & he slipped the ring on my middle finger carefully- it fit me perfectly, as if it was made for me.

   My heart skipped a beat as I stared at the ring for a long time; 'So, it was the one you wanted after all,' he said suddenly, making me look up at him.

  'You're weird for a noble. Usually, nobles would want... different kind of things,' he continued while I just stared at him. We stared at each other in silence for a while- maybe he was waiting for me to respond, but I didn't have anything to say.

    '... I like simple things that can draw me in. Large jewelries are annoying to wear.'

'Well... I guess everyone has their own interests,' he nodded, & I turned away to leave, but I didn't forget to say my last sentence in a soft voice; 'I'll see you again someday. At that time, I hope we would be...'

   On the same side. I hope you wouldn't be helping Ian to defeat me.

A/N; And I hope you become a little less lazy. Anyway, after this there are hardly any events, so I'll skip one year, or less.