Chunin Exams Part 5

Start from the beginning

"Rule 2: You will all pass or fail depending on the total scores of all three members of your squad" Ibiki stated and immediately the room was filled with disbelieving whispers.

Sakura also looked around horrified, combining the scores? Sasuke she knew could probably pull it off but based on what she had seen at the academy, how on earth was Naruto going to pass?

"SCILENCE! Stop that whispering, I have my reasons for making the test this way" Ibiki said effectively halting the whispering and continued.

"Rule 3: The men positioned around the room are there to watch you for any indication that you might be cheating. Each time you're caught – two points will be taken from your score. If you want to be good Shinobi then show us how good you can be" Ibiki finished.

Sakura pressed her hands together tightly in front of her mouth. It was suddenly clear to her; they were expected to cheat but not get caught doing so. This was a stealth as well as brains test. It tested the ability to calculate and think quickly as well as the ability to act undetected, both of which were essential attributes for any ninja.

How exactly am I going to cheat and not get caught doing it? I don't have any special bloodline traits or a jutsu I know that could help me out. Relax Sakura relax, just sit it like you would any other test. Try and do it just yourself without any cheating and then if you get stuck… Well we'll get to that bit later Sakura thought as she fidgeted nervously, wanting to get started as soon as possible.

"One more thing before we begin. If anyone should get a zero on the exam that person and their squad will automatically fail" Ibiki said as Sakura and Sasuke automatically stiffened in shock and Naruto began to feel very very sick.

"As for the final question, you won't get it until 15 minutes before the exam ends. So you have one hour in total to complete this exam" Finally finishing his speech Ibiki turned to the clock at the front of the room. The minute hand seemed to tick by slowly to Sakura, but it finally reached 12 and the time stood exactly at 4:30pm.

"BEGIN!"

Papers flew open and Sakura hunched over her desk, determined to do as well as she could and not have to resort to cheating. Although she only suspected that this was the true purpose of the exam she had wondered to herself how many other people may have figured this out as well. Naruto was probably too stressed about the exam itself to have a hunch as to what the real exercise behind it was, and even if he did figure it out how exactly was he going to cheat? Sasuke had the Sharingan but what did she and Naruto have?

Sasuke watched Naruto from the corner of his eye so as not to get suspected for cheating. He saw as Naruto stared blankly at the exam in front of him, not even moving to pick it up. Naruto finally decided to pick up his paper and examined the first question.

What was I worried about, it's just a test. I'll just relax and do the ones I can answer the best. Okay the first one I've got to figure out some sort of code. Uh um… okay forget that one, which one can I do next? Naruto thought as he stared at the paper completely perplexed.

Line B on the paper demonstrates the trajectory of a shuriken thrown at enemy C by ninja A sitting on top of a tree 7 metres tall. Describe and formulate the trajectory required if C were positioned at points D, E, and F. Also the possible range of the shuriken and explain how you arrived at your answer?" Sasuke read the question to himself.

He felt less and less confident. He couldn't locate Sakura within the room but he seriously doubted even she could pull off these questions.

These are integrated problems requiring complex mechanic energy analysis which is really advanced stuff. There's no way Naruto can solve this, hell I don't know if I can solve it. But at least I understand the underlying principles so that's a start Sakura thought as she swallowed hard and glanced around the room.