A New Sensei and The First Mission

Start from the beginning

"I need some sake" Tsunade muttered as she walked towards the nearest bar.

Sakura meanwhile was in a deep depressive state as she repeated Ami's words to herself over again, her self-esteem had taken one too many hits today. Sakura looked up just in time to see Tsunade walking past her towards the Konoha tavern.

"Lady Tsunade!" Sakura called out and raced after her.

Tsunade turned around in response to her name being called and recognized Kakashi's pink haired student. "You're Sakura, right? What can I do for you?"

Sakura gave a timid smile "I was wondering if I might take up your offer to train under you"

Tsunade studied the girl carefully. "Well I can tell you now I'm not going to go easy on you. Your talent for chakra control will only get you so far, for this to work you need to be one hundred percent committed to training"

Sakura nodded her head vigorously; she was prepared to do whatever it took to not be considered weak. "I'm prepared to do absolutely anything you ask in order to get stronger" Sakura replied firmly.

"Well that being said I'm completely drained of chakra because of those useless boneheads in the hospital. They all seem to be lacking a frontal lobe, so I'm headed to the bar which means no training straight away. But you can come with me if you want? I'll even shout you some non-alcoholic fruity drink because you look like you need one" Tsunade said before resuming her original goal with an apprehensive Sakura following behind.

"Hello Miko, the usual for me today and your finest mock tail for Sakura here" Tsunade instructed.

The bartender bowed in response and began busying himself preparing the drinks. The blonde woman (as tired as she was) could tell something was up with her new apprentice. Once their drinks were ready she decided it was now her business as her new sensei to pry into these matters. After all any emotional baggage would be a hindrance during training.

"So what made you change your mind about training under me? When I suggested it this morning you didn't seem very enthused" Tsuande asked as she sipped her sake.

Sakura had a feeling this question was coming and she decided it was best to be up front and honest with her new sensei.

"It's going to sound silly but I had a nightmare last night. My teammate Naruto Uzumaki and Kakashi said I had been kicked off Team 7 because I was too selfish and absorbed with how I looked. Ino a girl who I used to be best friends with was my replacement. She and my other teammate Sasuke Uchiha were together" Sakura paused and looked at her sensei who nodded for her to continue.

"He called me weak… And today just before I saw you outside the hospital I went to the Hokage tower to find you and a girl from the academy was working as a receptionist there. She insulted me and told me the only reason people know who I am is because I'm on the same team as Sasuke" Sakura finished glumly.

"I see" Tsunade replied.

She drank deeply from her bottle of sake and felt sympathy for Sakura; she knew what it felt like to be left behind by her teammates. The feelings of loneliness and uselessness washed away by the alcohol she so desperately craved.

"But I-I want to change that. I don't want to be known as just the girl on the same team as the lone survivor of the Uchiha clan and trained by the famed Kakashi Hatake. I want to be recognized as a person, as someone important" Sakura said as she felt her emotions bubble over.

"Hmm. That's the kind of answer I was hoping for. Strength is not restricted to physical appearance but a strong mental attitude is imperative as well. As you become physically stronger your confidence will grow and you'll be your own person" Tsunade smiled and stood up. Leaving some money on the counter she walked out and Sakura followed.