I Know

"What's going on? Are you two fighting?" Sofia asks me when I give her the key.

"We're... in a rough spot, just... get me what I need.." I'd told her I needed her to pick up some things from my apartment.

"Camila, you can't stay in the on-call room... just stay with me..." Sofia begs.

"I'm fine here..." I say and she leaves.

"Sofia is on her way to get some things for me, you need to be gone while she's there.." I told Luka on the phone.

"Camila, you can't ignore me forever, we need to talk.." Luka is pleading with me and while I hear the remorse and concern in his voice, I'm hesitant to meet with him, but I know I have to.

"Not now, I need time," I hang up and check on my patients.

Later Sofia brings my things to the hospital and behind her Luka follows.

The minute I catch a glimpse of him, a fire erupts in my belly. "You need to leave," I say and Sofia is confused, I know, but now is not the time to explain.

"Camila, baby.. please.." Luka  says.

"Leave.. not now, this is my place of work. We'll talk, but not now and not here.." I say again more firmly.

"But--" he's cut off.

"You need to leave," Dr. Amos is by my side and he glares at my fiance.   Luka backs down and leaves.

"Camila.... talk to me please," I pull Sofia into a conference room and painfully tell her what happened.

"He didn't..." she's in tears and so am I.

"He did.. and I know he didn't mean to, but, it's.. still sexual assault and I don't know what to do about it... he's not a bad guy and he's never hurt me physical or otherwise..." 

"Camila... you can't marry him.."

"I know that...even after all this, I can't marry him because I slept with Shawn.... I.. I'm still in love with him.. even after all these years,my heart still belongs to him."
While I'm here the truth all comes out.

"When like... recently?" Sofia is in complete shock.

"A couple months ago. He was here, we ran into each other and one thing led to another.. and when Luka got home and the whole proposal happened it just.. I don't know what I was thinking.."

"Shit... I don't know what to say.."

"Neither do I.. but I'm sorry. There's a lot of things I've kept from you over the years and I don't want to keep doing that.."

"Camila, I know."

"I know, you know.." I say. It's not a secret that I've done my best to keep it all together, all the time.

"No, Camila, I know... I know. I've always known. I'm not stupid...the bookstore you worked at didn't pay that well....." she says sadly

I know what she's referring to now.

"How long have you known?"

"When you went to Miami for a photo shoot, I used your computer and you had your site bookmarked. I wanted to call you but Shawn walked in and he tried to cover for you, but he's an awful liar. I was hurt... believe me I was.. but I knew you did what you had to do..."

"All this time?" I was still in complete shock. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I... I don't know.... why didn't you tell me? Were you ashamed?"

"No, I have never been ashamed of the things I had to do to get to where I am. I just never wanted you to have to struggle or worry and I was worried if you knew, you'd drop out or refuse the money..."

"You've always taken care of me and for that I'm grateful but you need to let me take care of you now... please..." I let myself break down in her arms and she holds me.

"I love you, you know that, and because I love you, I think you need to speak to Luka and make a decision.... " she says as she kisses my forehead. 

"I don't know what that is..." I say sadly.

"Yes you do. You've always known...." she leaves and I know she's right.