Chapter 5

Nickels

It had been a long ass morning deal with his now ex-girlfriend crying about the break up, and that had led into a long ass night. The band that he had told Jimmy about wasn't making that great of an audition. He knew they had potential but the female lead singer of this hard core rock group was green to say the least.

Jimmy shook his head when her voice cracked, again. "Damn man are you sure about these guys because so far I'm not hearing it. I mean, yeah they've got the look, but I think those guys from Iowa that sounded damn better then this. I say we work on them to be the big money maker. These guys, I'm think we'd be hoping just to get a hit out of them." He said, sitting back to lite up a smoke.

"Shit..." He swore then pushed the button to the mic. "Try it again Angie. We can't have your voice go out half way through the song." He explained, biting back a mouth load of swears he wanted to spew.

The group started up, again, but still have the sound that he first heard when he chose them. "I don't know, I swear they had it when I first heard them. I mean they have the look, they can play, and she's hot and can sing. I don't know what else to do with it..." He started but was interrupted.

"You have the bass to high, and you should have the tempo slow down so her voice isn't so harsh. Then when the chorus start have the screaming pick up with the tempo." A soft buttery voice said from behind.

He turned around, and there she was... Every time he see this woman he just can't think straight. "What, I mean, I didn't here you come in." He stammered.

Jimmy chuckled snubbing out his smoke "Hey Lynn. Long time no see. So how are you doing?"

She shrugged pealing herself off the wall and walked towards them with those long luscious legs in five inch heels. "Oh you know me Jim, I'm always doing alright." She winked.

"I didn't hear from you so I wasn't sure you coming." He admitted. But then she smiled and came and sat in his lap, She picked up his cigarette from the ashtray, and stuck it in her mouth before she hit the button to the mic looking at the band. "Sweetheart, you need to manage that voice of yours. No guy wants you screeching like a banshee in his ear. At first you need to sound like the girl next door, and then when you think you've got him right where you want him... you kick him in the balls with that voice of yours! Now, let's take it from the top..." She laughed.

Nickels grabbed the mic with a shake of his head. "Never mind that. But I'm going to need ten everyone." He told the group as his hand went to her leg. "Great terminology by the way Lynn." He gave her.

She turned around to face him and he held in a very loud grown that was wanting to escape. "All woman want to kick men in the balls Nic. And are you saying all you need is ten minutes with me? Man you could always be very, quick, at times." She purred.

"Damn it Lynnie..." He growled.

Jimmy sat back watching the two of them with a smile and chuckling at their banter. That had her turn as one arm went around his neck while other one took the cigarette out of her mouth and placed it back into his. She took a good long look over at Jimmy and he could see her mind working in a million different directions.

"So Jimmy... are you clean now or are you still heavy into that shit?" She asked, bluntly.

"No Lynn I'm off it. It's been that way for about two years now." Jim offered.

"Only two years?" She questioned

"Lynn..." He scolded, only to have her hand go around his mouth.

"Yeah, I ah... fell off the wagon, but it was only once." Jimmy admitted.

Her eyes roamed over him. "That's good, really good Jimmy. I swear there were a couple times I thought I was going to have to get a bat and beat the shit out of you. And there were a good many times you're lucky I didn't see you, or I might've done worse to that thick skull of yours."