CHAPTER 29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

Nma woke up in the morning to see Uche knotting his tie in front of the dressing mirror, she glanced at the table clock, it was barely seven and she wondered if this was the time he usually left for work or was he just trying to avoid her.

"Good morning" she greeted him, getting out of the bed in her short pink night gown.

"Good morning, hope you slept well?"

"Yes, I slept very well" she didn't want him thinking she tossed and turned last night wanting him. Not knowing what else to say to him she walked into the bathroom to shower. By the time she came out Uche had gone to work.

That became the routine for them. Uche worked late and slept in his study then came into their room in the morning to get ready for work, sometime he would have left by the time she would wake up.

Nma was very unhappy and it showed. Even though the people close to her had mistaken her tired look as a sign of pregnancy and teased her about it, she denied their accusation. It was better that if they thought her tired look was as a result of pregnancy than for them to guess the truth. She and Uche were drifting more apart every day. They rarely spoke to each other, and in fact he was becoming a perfect stranger to her with each passing day. She hardly knew what to do, she had no one to talk to. She was bearing her burden alone. How could she tell any one that her marriage wasn't working out when she and Uche acted like they were the only two people in love in the world in public? She could only pray for a miracle so they could go back to how they were before Angela spoilt it for them.

The only thing that kept her sane was her work. Especially Eva's wedding gown had kept her busy. Sometimes she didn't have to think or worry about Uche and their failing marriage. Sometimes still in the night after they'd dinner civilly and Uche had retired to his study to work, she would go to her studio and work till the wee hours of the morning. Then she would drag herself off to bed where she would sleep and wake up tired and nauseous. She put it down to the problems and emotional aches her marriage was causing her. She hardly had appetite for anything these days; she always missed breakfast and only ate lunch when she remembered to.

"Nma don't you think you are over doing it? With your condition you should be doing this much" Helen said worriedly some days later.

"What condition?"

"Don't kid me, or are you saying that you are not pregnant"

"I am not, how many times will I tell you that?"

"But you have it written all over you, or can't you see the changes your body is under-going" Helen told her, she was a little upset with her friend and employer for being so wrapped in her job and loosing sense what is more important in her life.

"I have just been working too hard, you are right, I will slow down, and I worked throughout last night"

"Nma you can't mean that, where was Uche when you were holed up in your studio all night"

"He understands I have to work, after all it is his sister's wedding gown I'm working on and he works pretty hard himself"

"Nma you are now married, you should stop working all night, you'll kill the passion in your relationship and when that dies, the love will gradually follow suit"

Nma smiled ruefully. If only Helen knew the truth she thought and sighed.

"I'll go home now and work on Eva's dress so I don't have to work tonight and thanks for everything" she left feeling very empty

Nma was still working in her studio when she heard a light tap on the door and the housekeeper came in.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I was wondering if I should bring your lunch up here"