Chapter 13: I'm An Idiot

Start from the beginning

But most importantly, I couldn't tell her about the vampires' existance while we were in her pack. One wrong person overhearing our conversation and I'd risk putting Tourmaline and the other mermaids in danger. 

Trust was a hard thing that I came by. Especially after losing the ones close to me.  

So, I kept everything a secret until we arrived back here to the coast. It may not have been the wisest decision, especially after we were attacked on our journey back, but it was strategic.

If only I'd account for the fact that Tourmaline would have called me 'Dad' right before I was whisked away to deal with a vampire trying to get in. It was comical really, seeing Tate tring to be okay with me having a daughter.

She didn't have a mean bone in her body, but I could tell she wanted to wring my ear and find out who the mom was. And while Tourm was in many way my daughter, I could tell the title of uncle and niece put Tate at ease. 

My heart also warmed to see them both getting along. Tourmaline seemed considerable more happy with Tate around and I can't deny that I was as well.

She had an instinctive warmth about her. A ray of sunshine in this considerably bleak part of the coast where we've been fighting for our lives.

And I friend-zoned her.

While my lack of words played a part in it, there was another reason. Her age.

Age didn't play that big of a role in werewolf packs because typically you found your mate at sixteen. Most cases, both partners were the same age or two years apart.

With me being twenty-one though, it hadn't felt right to want anything more while she was just shy of eighteen. And yes, while a week may not be a defining moment in making a teenager become a wise adult, I wasn't going to want her before she was old enough.

Even now, on her eighteenth birthday, it didn't feel right. We still don't know that much about each other. I was hiding myself from her and she... Well, I'm terrified of losing her.

Just as I'd lost my parents, Will and Amethyst.

I couldn't unravel my heart to her only to lose her.

I won't survive it. It was one of the few things that I was sure of.

Yet as I clicked on my phone, I already felt the threads that held my heart close unravelling at it's seams. Waiting for me to open it up again.

Here's to hoping that she won't see as a friend in the future. Because God knows I won't survive it.

I typed out a simple Happy Birthday to her but as my finger hovered over the 'send' button, I thought better of it and backspace the words.

When I laid my phone down next to me, I rubbed my jaw as the need to wish her grew stronger in me.

I really screwed myself by calling her a friend.

Before I could over think it anymore, I picked up my phone, I typed out the message and added a few emojis under the pretence that Tourmaline was sending it.

Aiden: Happy Birthday
Tate!!! 🎉❤🦄🎂🍦

As I stared down at the message, anxiety took over my thoughts as I realized that she may not realise it was Tourm.

Aiden: This is Tourm btw

I felt my heart pounding erratically in my chest as I saw that my message was read. Does everyone feel this nervous while texting their crush?