Twenty Four

~Luna hissed loudly, wincing at the shooting pain that shot up from her hand and through the rest of her body

~
Luna hissed loudly, wincing at the shooting pain that shot up from her hand and through the rest of her body. The cut on her hand that before had been covered in blood, was now in the process of being cleaned. 

"Stop moving," JJ murmured, deeply concentrated. He was her temporary medic, insisting that it would probably get infected if not wrapped up properly. Something about the metal being old and rusty, she wasn't too sure. "The longer you fuss the longer it'll take."

"Sorry." The brunette giggled. She knew he was being serious, but the focus on his face was too cute, and a definite change from the boy's usual playful ways. "Ouch."

He looked up to her and rolled his eyes before reaching for the small loop of white bandage. "I'm just glad it wasn't a bullet."

"Me too." She agreed softly.

When he finished, Luna was expecting the blonde to move to her face and put whatever antibiotic cream he'd used onto the large scratch that now was present across her cheekbones. Instead he remained still, holding her hand tightly and looking down at it. The expression he held was unreadable, which was a little frustrating considering she wanted to be able to talk to him about what he was feeling, but then again JJ was never one for that anyway. She more than anything just wanted him to be okay.

"You good?" The girl questioned. He didn't answer at first, but then looked up at her quite suddenly.

"The bruise is still there."

"What?"

"The bruise, on your wrist, that Rafe gave you?"

"Oh yeah," She glanced down to the fading purple colour and frowned. So much had happened since then, hell she'd been in hospital and back. In fact she was mildly confused on how no-one there questioned her on it, but it was probably best they didn't. "But you can barely see it now really. And it doesn't hurt."

"Good," He mumbled. "That's good."

"JJ what's going on? You're acting weird."

"Me? Acting weird? Pshh," He smiled and shook his head, but it was clear there was something on his mind. When he noticed Luna wasn't laughing too, instead just gazing at him with concern, he let his frown emerge again. "I'm fine, honestly."

"Everyone knows 'I'm fine' means 'I'm not fine', J. It's okay to talk about how you-"

"Okay fine!" The blonde boy sort of burst out, cutting her off mid sentence. He pulled away and sat back, moving his head to the side. "I just- I guess- I don't-"

He stayed silent for a moment, biting his lip. Luna moved her wrapped hand back to him and rested it upon his own. "It's okay."

"Shit Lu! I just feel like I can't protect you."