Twenty Three

~

~

"Don't trip."

And then she tripped, tumbling very inelegantly out the sliding door of the familiar orange van and into the awaiting arms of JJ Maybank. "Shit."

"I told you." He smirked as she pulled herself away from him and brushed her top down. It wasn't that much of a fall, but she was still glad the others in front weren't there to witness it.

"Haha so funny." She rolled her eyes at the wink he gave before lifting the rope back onto his shoulder and following the others.

Right now they were stood outside the Crain House again- the difference being it was now dark out, plus they'd gained a person. Sarah had barely stopped grinning since she got in the van.

John B had given some half speech about how grateful he was for everyone, and whilst Luna thought it was definitely sweet, she was growing increasingly worried on whether they'd actually be able to pull this off or not. Would they even find gold at the bottom of this well? What if there was nothing there? Or someone else had got to it first? Hell what if they were all chopped into pieces by some crazy lady?! Still, John B's words did make her smile, and they definitely gave her yet another boost of excitement

Climbing over the wall was easier than it had been before, and the girl was able to successfully land on the other side without any new scrapes or bruises. She walked in front of JJ, who was eager to stay at the back: he said it was for protection, but Luna knew it meant he'd be the furthest away from the house if they did start being chased. It was fine though, his mock hero act was cute.

She almost turned behind to ask how he was doing at the back, when a piercing light shone out directly onto them. It was way too bright, and the brunette found herself temporarily blinded. She was so startled she forgot to move, meaning Kiara had to be the one to pull her down and out of sight from the house in which the lights were shining from.

"Shit."

"You can't just stand there."

"Sorry, I-"

She was silenced by John B, who put a finger to his mouth and shushed everyone. The gentle glare he gave her was definitely aimed however.

"Okay." Pope fretted. "Okay, so, she has motion sensor lights."

"Does that mean she's awake?" Luna queried, to which everyone looked around at each other in worry. No one was sure. "Okay, cool cool cool. I guess just be as quiet as possible. What now?"

"We could, uh...move really slowly? Maybe?" JJ replied. His heart was in the right place, but the girl next to him couldn't help but snort. It seemed everyone heard her 'quiet' laugh however, and Sarah frowned at her.