𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

"Sit," he muttered, nodding at the guest's seat before rounding the desk and letting his office chair carry his weight with a squeak.

He bent down, opened a cabinet on the hidden side of the table. With a huff, he hauled up a box that landed on the wooden surface with no thump. The man was gentle with it. Peering at the box's front, the reason why came to me. I was given three seconds to jump into a conclusion before it was proven right.

"Yours," he said, one salt-and-pepper brow bouncing.

I wanted to groan into my hands but didn't. I gulped, "A laptop?"

The man leaned back, put his hands behind his head, and rolled his chair slightly, clearly attempting to relax. He spoke, "Yes, new employees get one."

I cleared my throat. Happiness should be my initial reaction, but instead, I was questioning my luck. Is it really luck? A gut-feel told me otherwise. "Really?" I voiced.

Mr. Liddell smacked his lips together. His answer had sarcasm seeping through its spaces, "Starting today and limited to today only. You're one blessed young woman." he sighed.

"Excuse me?" I straightened in my seat and leaned forward, but was cautious with the boxed modern technology between us; as if the inanimate object could bite. "You mean to say that this thing is for me? Like... especially for me?" I cringed at my choice of words. Special. Me. Huh.

The man spoke with a yawn, "I said what I said."

"I can't accept that," I told him, and for conviction poked the box away from me.

"Well, you need to," he sat forward and pushed it back to me.

"No," I glared at the box, "I can't."

Liddell pouted, mocking, "Unless you have one of your own?"

I crossed my arms in front of me, not liking the theory in my head—a theory that involved Keenan, "I saw the desk, it had a desktop. That'll be enough."

"Your job will require you to read and edit, read, edit, read, and judge. Not just here, but also at home. Let's be honest, you'll need this." he tapped the package.

I do. I really do need it. "Why am I being given this?"

He shrugged, "You tell me." he said, though I could tell that he had his own theories.

I didn't speak for a while. Literally, I got more than what I bargained for. The man across from me sighed and pushed the box again, enough for me to have the need to catch it. I glared as he spoke, "Take it, Gianna. Jensen's gonna have my ass if you don't." I didn't mind, but I took it out of personal desperation.

After that, I went straight home with a pit stop at Burger King and the goal of texting Keenan once I reach my unit. Seeing the box at home on my small dining table had me realizing that I haven't processed yet what the fuck just happened, causing my head to ache. I grabbed a chair, sat, and sighed. Then, I rubbed my temples. I should thank whoever the hell I need to thank, but verbal gratitude would not be enough for my grateful soul. I'd need to repay with favors.

The box and I had a stare-off. Who bought you? I wanted to ask it, but dumb would I be expecting to hear an answer I already knew. What if there's nothing inside? Well, it was heavy, but what if it's just a dozen stones? Keenan does look like the type to play pranks. When my eyes started to sting, I groaned and opened the package. Sure enough, the unit named on the side was the unit inside.

I'm not a techy person, but I did know enough to fulfill the prerequisites. For the next few hours leading up to Ralph's arrival, that's all I did: set up. My best friend's reaction was exactly what I expected.