↬A.M.↭UNTITLED (1)↫

The conscience is a precious thing; it's your moral compass, meant to keep you accountable for your actions so you don't stray from the path of good. But what happens when it's broken? Or, more importantly, what if it never existed in the first place? That's how I'd describe the O'Driscolls: heartless bastards only out for themselves. Maybe that's why I fit in so well with them.

My parents raised me (if you could even call it that) with no distinction for what right and wrong was. The one thing I learned was always look out for yourself, everyone else was expendable and should only be used to your advantage.

That's why, when Colm O'Driscoll asked me to go rob a train, I didn't hesitate to do as he said. I'd been with them for who knows how long, this was just routine at this point. A couple other gang members came with me, and after a particularly uninteresting robbery, we headed back to camp. I secretly pocketed half of the haul and put the remainder in Colm's quarters. I'd question how they hadn't figured out I was stealing from them but then the lot of them were dumber than a box of rocks.

"Gents! Come, gather 'round!" Colm shouted as he and several others came riding into camp, stirring up dust. I pulled up my bandana and followed the others. "We have done it!" Cheers came in reply to his words. I looked at Joel, one of the men who robbed the train with me.

"What is he on about?" I asked, lowering my voice to sound more like a man.

"No clue," he replied, shrugging.

"Van der Linde will be coming on his knees when he figures out we stole his best man!" Colm spat his rival's name as his horse trotted in a circle, showing the man slumped on the back of the horse. I recognized him as one of Dutch Van der Linde's men, but I never would've guessed he was his right hand man.

"Now if you'll excuse me, men, I must see that our guest is properly taken care of." The men around me cackled as I shook my head. Poor guy. The men dispersed as I walked over to Colm.

"Train robbery went flawlessly, as usual," I reported. He looked down at me from his horse.

"And the money?"

"In your house."

"Good. Now take Mr. Morgan here to his new home." He couldn't resist grinning evilly. I sighed silently but did as he said. I pulled the man into my arms, but despite what everyone around here thought, I was not a big burly man, so I nearly dropped him to the dusty ground. The breath--already restricted by the binding on my chest--escaped me as I attempted to drag him over to the cellar. Colm laughed at me but didn't help, just swatted his horse to gallop away.

I finally plopped him onto the chair and sat keeled over gasping for breath. He groaned, making me freeze, but he could barely open his eyes. He was staring at me as I bound his wrists and ankles to the chair. He looked so defeated and confused about what was going on. How hard did they hit him?

"Sorry buddy," I muttered. "If it makes you feel better, they'll kill you once they get what they want." He snapped to life at that and started struggling wildly. "Whoa whoa! Calm down!" When he didn't, I slapped him. "Stop!" He listened.

"Let me out of here," he growled. I was suddenly really glad he was tied up.

"That would get both of us killed," I pointed out. That didn't deter him as he worked at getting his hands free. "Well good look with that, Morgan." I waved and headed for the stairs up to ground level, seeing a guard already stationed outside. "He's awake if you want to start," I said. The man nodded and went to go tell O'Driscoll. I took his spot and glanced back down at the struggling man. He had no idea how long these next few days would be.

~~~

I got used to sleeping through the screams of pain, but that was the perk of choosing a house next to the cellar. Somewhere deep inside it made me feel bad, like I had a moral compass, but I assured myself it was only because it was influencing how much sleep I got.

No matter how hard they tried, though, they couldn't get Morgan to talk. To be fair, he was in so much pain half the time he couldn't speak, but it was still impressive. I would've ratted out long ago. Tonight it was my turn to try and get him to talk, and I really wasn't looking forward to it. But as Colm's trusted 'friend', I had no choice in the matter.

With a lantern in my hand, I walked down the stairs to the cellar. I gagged at the smell; he was still alive after that? One of his eyes was too swollen to even open and he was bleeding in at least three different places, but his spirit was still there. His head tilted at the light.

"Hope I didn't wake you," I said, but it didn't sound genuine. Honestly, I never was. He grunted something unintelligible. "So what's on today's menu?" I surveyed the variety of tools, trying to choose which one to start with.

"I'll never tell you," Morgan mumbled.

"I know that." I turned to him. Hands clasped together, I leaned down to his eye-level. "Which is why I'm going to offer you a deal: I'll get you out of here if you give me a location."

"I'll never-"

"Even a fake one," I whispered in his ear. It took a few seconds but my plan seemed to click in his head. He squinted at me with his one good eye.

"Why should I trust you?"

"I hate this place." He still didn't believe me. "If I lie to O'Driscoll, I'm dead. Plus I want out, this life isn't one for a girl like me."

He thought for a long moment before saying loudly, "We went back to Blackwater."

"Why would you go back to your old camp?" I was backing up towards the stairs while flashing a thumbs up.

"Last place they'd expect us."

"Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Morgan." I darted up the stairs to tonight's guard, Joel, who looked ecstatic.

"You got him to talk (Your/Last/Name)!"

"I know." I smirked. I raced off to inform Colm.

"(Y/L/N), you're useful." Colm said as he grabbed his hat and headed outside with me on his tail.

"But you have to hurry: he said they're packing up to leave soon."

"Round up the men!" He shouted to a couple others. "You get the honors of finishing Arthur." He glanced at me before hopping on his horse and leading most of the camp to Blackwater. The dust was thick in the air as I returned to the cellar. Joel met me there.

"You didn't make him scream once." He sounded amazed but there was a suspicious undertone. I pulled my knife out and jammed it deep into his stomach. His mouth fell open in shock as he collapsed, holding onto it tightly with wide eyes. I searched his body for valuables, and disappointed to only find a few dollars, grabbed the handle of the knife.

"Need help taking that out?" I yanked it out. I stepped around the body to head down the stairs to Arthur. He leaned back upon spotting the bloody knife but I shook my head. "I need you alive." I cut his restraints and slid the knife back into its holster. He attempted to stand but collapsed almost immediately. I pushed him back into his seat since there was no way I'd be able to support him.

"Take a minute and get your strength back. I'll grab your stuff." I raced back up the stairs to my house to grab my few belongings and Morgan's guns. After putting the stuff on my horse, I returned to the cellar for the last time to drag Morgan to the horse. "If you want to help that would be greatly appreciated," I grunted, wondering if he was purposely acting useless.

I whistled for the horse and she came over. Doing my best to hoist Morgan onto the saddle, I climbed up behind him. I clearly didn't think this through as he was taller than me, meaning I couldn't see. I did my best to look over his shoulder as I kicked the horse into a gallop. Through the cover of darkness, we were able to escape the camp without anyone even knowing we were there.