Waves of Freedom

‘We did our time. Time that dragged. Every second an eternity.’ Sergio grunts as he eases himself down the drainpipe. ‘Now it's OUR time. We owe it to ourselves.’

Jumping down, Sergio and Jim edge themselves along the prison wall, across the exercise yard. ‘Don't look back Sergio,’ says Jim. ‘My legs feel like lead after all that time locked up.’

‘Quick. Dodge the search lights. You know the plan Jim.’ Sergio spins around. ‘Down! Into that corner. They can’t see us there.’

‘I need to catch my breath,’ wheezes Jim. ‘My heart’s pounding. I feel sick. It felt safe inside, I’m not sure I am ready for life outside.’

‘We've got this Jim. We know it'll work. Just stick to the plan.’

‘I know, I know.’

‘RUN! Now!’

They reach the perimeter fence as the alarm sounds. Sergio throws up a home-made ladder and it catches on the top of the fence. ‘Got it! Climb up Jim,’ he shouts in glee.

They climb up and make it over, just as the dogs arrive. ‘Throw them those bones, Jim’. He fishes into his trouser pocket and throws some chicken bones from last night’s dinner through the fence.

‘Feeling lightheaded,’ muses Jim. ‘I am so hungry. The light is burning into my skull.’

Nerves jangling, Sergio and Jim run into the swamp. Sergio can't help himself shouting with excitement. ‘Freedom. I could die, I feel so alive’. Jim starts to laugh maniacally. They make slow progress down a gentle slope, feeling their way through the green fronds as search lights dart across the sky. ‘I can hear the sea. Pounding. It’s some way off but we should make it.’

They emerge from the swamp at the shoreline. Jim sinks down onto the sand, collapsing onto his knees. ‘We did it! I can't believe it. I am high on ozone, I can taste the sea spray. I have never seen anything so beautiful as the horizon.’

‘It's been so long, Jim. Was the sky always so fine? I never noticed it before. We will never be the same again. A new life for both of us. We just have to keep to the plan.’

But they are not safe yet…

‘I hear the dogs again,’ whispers Sergio. ‘Quick, into the sea. We just need to make it to the cave for now.’

‘Oh Sergio, I’m too old for this,’ wheezes Jim.

Sergio rummages in his pockets for a home-made snorkel, fashioned out of straws from the prison canteen. ‘Here, take this.’

‘Thanks. The sound of the water is so disorientating. Helicopters overhead, Sergio.’

Buffeted by the swell they swim round the headland and into the bay where the water is calmer. Ducking down to dodge the lights from the helicopters they reach a small cave.

‘We can rest awhile in the cave entrance. You OK Jim?’

‘Yeah, just not as fit as I once was.' His breathing is laboured. 'Damn COPD.’ The sound of the waves echoes across the cave walls. ‘This cave will have seen many a criminal in its time, eh? The walls look oily. I just need to sit. Put my shoes back on and wring the water out of my clothes.’