Unus... and only Unus.

Angst. Literally nothing but angst. TW for: major character death, yelling, crying, anger.

Annus watched patiently as their friend paced. There was agitation in Unus's steps, but Annus had known them long enough to see that there was fear beneath it. The entity felt weak, something they'd sworn they lost the ability to feel. But somehow they were okay with feeling fragile. It wouldn't be for long, anyway.

"Unus," Annus murmured. "Come sit, old friend." They saw Unus's shoulders stiffen as the smaller being came to an abrupt halt. Wordlessly Unus followed Annus's request, sitting slouched near them.  Annus felt sympathy for their younger counterpart. It was always hard to accept death.

"Unus," Annus rumbled. "I've got to go now-" Unus jerked upwards suddenly, turning furious eyes on Annus. "No you don't," they hissed between clenched teeth. "You're staying with me. That's the end of it." 

Annus laid their hand on Unus's shoulder. "This is inevitable, Unus. Time calls me, and death grows nearer. You of all people should understand that Thanatos beckons us all, in time." Unus stayed silent. Annus could hear the shaking of their breathing, could feel the grieving energy that was already taking hold of them. "I don't want you to leave me," Unus admitted. Their voice was small, vulnerable in a way that Annus had never seen it. And suddenly Annus felt the weight on their chest. They felt the panic of knowing death was around the corner. 

They didn't want to go either.

"It is inevitable. I don't have much time. Even now I am fading, Unus." Annus reminded them softly. They heard the small being start to cry, sobs shaking their body. "P-please, Annus," they begged. "Please don't leave me alone." Unus turned their eyes to Annus, wide and filled with anguish. Annus slowly reached for Unus, pulling them into a hug. Unus's hands clutched at the lapels of Annus's suit as if hoping that'd be enough to keep him on the mortal plane of existence. 

"There comes a time where we all must go… Memento Mori, remember?" Annus felt Unus start to shake, and rubbed circles into their back.

"It's time, Unus." Annus whispered. Only then did the fear break through. Unus shook their head rapidly. Annus could feel the quickening of their heart as they began to panic. "Please, please Annus don't! Don't leave me please! I'll do whatever you need me to, just don't leave me here alone! Annus please!" Unus's voice broke as they begged Annus to do the impossible. 

Annus just held them closer, breathing deeply. They couldn't feel their legs. 

"Unus. Unus I'm sorry I'm leaving you like this," Annus began. They ignored Unus's panicked sobs. 

"But I love you. I'm so happy that we got a whole year together." 

They lost feeling in their waist. They felt like they were floating.

"Don't despair. I shall wait for you if given a chance. And do not dwell on my last moments… Instead, remember the good times. The accomplishments."

Unus looked straight at Annus with tear-filled eyes. There was a look of terror on the younger's face that Annus hadn't seen before- but now their eyes were getting clouded. 

"Remember me, Unus. Remember us." With that, Annus's consciousness slipped. They weren't there to hear Unus's pained scream, or to feel the shaking of the hourglass as the timer ticked onto its last minutes. 

They were finally even further beyond.