Chapter 35: Truth

Start from the beginning

"Hurry, my dear child." I immediately jumped back on my feet and glanced in the same direction as before. There was a small ray of emerald light entering the chamber, the light we had seen before entering the chamber we were in now. Now it was there, almost beckoning me to come near. Before I knew it my feet had carried me in the direction of the whisper and left Obi-Wan behind without a second thought.

It was mesmerizing, almost as if like from a dream. The same feminine voice was still whispering but I couldn't make out the words. It was soothing yet still oddly terrifying, as if she was dying. When I entered the enormous space, a soft wind went through my hair and leaves blew by, colliding with my cheek only to wave away with the soft caress again. At first I saw all the statues alongside the edges of the round chamber, glancing down at me while holding swords and other weapons protectively as if they were guarding something.

I was completely hypnotized, I had completely forgotten about the death behind me, about Arthas Blackwing who was still waiting for us on the other side of the walls. All I could think about was what was before me. There was a gigantic tree resting on a small platform that had but one path leading to it from where I was standing. Around it was nothing but an abyss that let to nothing but darkness far below. There were small streams coming from that same tree, falling down softly and creating a calming sound that echoed through the cave.

But it wasn't just a tree. It grew small buds, blossomed with beautiful white flowers only to fall out and create large green leaves that stood proudly only to darken, crumble and fall again seconds later. Just a few seconds later the branches were covered in a small layer of snow that thawed almost immediately. It was like the seasons were sped up to the point that they lasted only a couple seconds. The tree, it glowed, some kind of magic was woven through every leave, every branch and every root. It resonated with a humming sound, which seemed to originate from the midst of the trunk. There was a small orb there, in a tiny spice that was carved out in the tree itself. It was different from all the others above but it glowed with the same magic.

A smile grew on my face as I stepped closer. It was calling to me. I hoped, no I knew, that that was it. It was my echo. It was calling to me, beckoning me to come closer and take its power as my own. As I walked closer the power became more intense and seemed to almost swallow me. It surrounded me as the petals of the blossoms fell down in my hair and softly stroked the bare skin of my hand when I reached out for the orb. It felt reassuring and warm, welcoming, yet the power I felt was so intense that I knew nothing could ever defeat it.

"Lyanna, wait!" Obi-Wan's voice shook my core and awoke me from what seemed like a trance. I turned around slowly, somehow feeling angry that he'd awoken me from this beautiful dream. Obi-Wan raised his arm worriedly and motioned for me to stop. "You can't be sure it's yours, Lyanna."

"I am."

"How? How do you know?" He looked around and seemed as mesmerized as I was, until his eyes spotted the two corpses that were lying just before the tree. "Look at them!" He began to realise the danger of the situation. "You'll end up like them if you're not careful enough."

I frowned while looking at them, seeing the armor the man was wearing. Somehow these bodies had decompensated less and were almost recognizable, were it not for the black dried up skin. The man was wearing silver armor adorned with golden decorations that resembled a thousand feathers and was wearing a large, red cape. He was important, that much was clear. The woman though, not so much. She was wearing a simple green dress.

"Look, Obi-Wan." I shook my head, trying to get the images out of my head of how I would look like. "We don't have a choice. We need more power to defeat Arthas and if that means risking my life for this, I will do it in a heartbeat."