14

Jane pov...

Maura comes home from work around lunchtime. She had to go in to finish some work but has taken the afternoon off so we can catch up as we haven't had time to yet.

She asks "how did it go we Cavanaugh this morning?"
I say "he was definitely surprised when I showed up. He easily gave me my job back and Korsak got his back too. We start back next week with Frankie being the other member of the unit. The other detectives that worked with Frankie are being transferred, they didn't want to be in homicide but they were needed and can now go to the department they wanted"
She smiles and says "I'm glad, I have missed our team. It was so hard after Frost died then you, Korsak left straight after saying he couldn't do it without you two"
I nod and say "I'm sorry, I know it must have been hard for you all. I didn't want to leave but I knew I couldn't stand to lose any of you. I know I left so it was kinda like losing all of you but I wanted to leave and protect you all rather than Hoyt kill you"
She nods and we get a drink before sitting down. I am about her life and she tells me it was hard to do anything at first, after awhile she got used to the change and started to go out and socialise again. She tells me about Jake the guy she had been seeing for the last year.

I tell her all about working in a different homicide unit and the team of friends I made. I tell her about Tom, our marriage, the miscarriage and the divorce.
I can tell she is shocked and says "I'm sorry Jane"
I nod and say "yeah it took a lot out of me to lose a baby for the second time but I realised maybe it just wasn't meant to be"
I tell her all about the Kiss Me Not killer and everything that happened with tracking him down. She says "you managed to be the target of two serial killers at the same time"
I nod and say "yeah, they are both dead now though"
She says "I'm glad you are safe now, you still want to be a homicide detective after all of this?"
I nod and say "I can't see myself doing anything else.
We continue to talk and learn about what has been happening in each other's lives over the years.

It was strange to leave and now it's hard being back. I have to rebuild the relationships and get used to working at BPD again. I will have to find a house but small steps first. I now have two sets of friends one here and one in San Francisco, at least it gives me a reason to have holidays. So many things have changed and it will take awhile to get back to normal but I couldn't be happier to be back here is Boston.