Revenge Tastes Sweet - A Dark Kion Story

Before you start reading:

This is the winning story of the dark Kion story competition on @SpiderEye- his Discord server.
This was my first ever writing competition and I had a lot of fun participating in it.
Link to the Discord server is in the story description.

REVENGE TASTES SWEET
A DARK KION STORY

It was in the middle of the night. A lioness was walking around the Pridelands. Next to her was a cub, her son. The cub had trouble sleeping because he had a bad dream. This wasnt the first time. Multiple nights in a row this happened already, and always the lioness would notice it and take the cub around the Pridelands. They would talk about the nightmares the cub was having and then they would go back to Pride Rock and continue sleeping.

Even though they always talked about the nightmares, the cub looked like he was changing ever since he started having them. He became more distant from his family and friends. And only a few days ago he suddenly wanted to eat alone.

The cub was Kion, leader of the Lion Guard, and his mother was Nala, queen of the Pridelands. Alongside eating alone, Kion also started going on patrol all by himself. He would leave early in the morning, before the rest of the guard would arrive at the lair, and came back late in the afternoon, just before he would be having dinner.

On patrols the first hour Kion could be seen walking around the Pridelands, but after that he was nowhere to be seen, and nobody knew where he went.

This night didnt look like anything out of the ordinary anymore, except for the path the two were walking. Usually they would go to the watering hole, stay there for a little while, and then go back, but this time they walked towards a big gorge.

As the two walked along the edge of the gorge, they stopped talking.

Minutes had passed when Kion finally broke the silence.

Mom, Im tired. he spoke.

Its alright Kion, Ill carry you home. Nala spoke.

Thanks mom. The cub climbed on her back and started sleeping as Nala started walking back.

Nala walked back along the side of the gorge when Kion woke up and start screaming. Nala slowly got Kion off of her back and started hugging the now crying cub.

Its alright. It was just another bad dream. she tried to comfort him.

Kion was trying to break free from Nalas grip, and when he succeeded, he started running back the way they came from.

Kion, wait! Nala yelled as she ran after her.

Leave me alone! Kion yelled back at her.

This made Nala stop. She was taken aback by this, but would listen to the cub. She laid down and started sobbing. Kion could hear this, but ignored it as he continued making his way towards the Outlands.

Everything is going exactly as planned. She is at the gorge right now, waiting for me to return. Kion told a group of hyenas once he was in the Outlands.

What are we waiting for boys. Lets get her. Janja, the leader of the hyenas, spoke to his clan, which would answer by running towards the Pridelands.

And dont mess this up Janja! Kion yelled after him, before he too made his way back to the Pridelands.

Nala was still waiting for Kion at the gorge, she didnt look as her son approached her. This made her not notice the smirk on his face, which he changed in a look of guilt before he spoke.