Without giving it a further thought, I lunged forward and pushed him off of her just to see her skin pale and yellow. Upon touching her, she was as cold as ice. Very. Very. Cold. I quickly placed my fingers under her neck to check her pulse when I was internally relieved to find a faint throb. At least it was there.

I was about to pick her up to take her to the hospital when I felt a sharp sting on my back which instantly turned into a painful pain. My dad had just hit me and I had nothing but my little sister in my mind. Anger coursed through my body like lava because hitting me was one thing, but Everleigh? I wouldn't tolerate that.

My boss was a bitchy boss and didn't allow kids to sit there at the cafe as I worked and hence, I always left Everleigh home with TV, snacks and sandwiches with her to keep her busy. I did have a mini camera installed and I always kept an eye on her throughout my job to see if she was okay or not. Today was such a hectic day and maybe the reason that I missed seeing my dad enter the house. But I really wish that I could have seen him.

I grabbed the nearest vase and turning around, I swung my hand hitting him with full force in an attempt to knock him out. He staggered back a bit and fell to the floor but tried to get up in a weak attempt when I wasn't having it. I had to take Everleigh to the doctor and he, definitely, wasn't helping the situation. I grabbed the nearest baseball bat and again swung it with full ferocity, making a direct blow to his head when he laid flaccid and limp on the ground. I kept looking at him for six to seven seconds to make sure we were out of simple threat. He wasn't moving and I dreaded that I had maybe killed him but that was the least of my concerns at the moment. 

Grabbing munchkin up in my arms and wrapping a shawl around her, I rushed towards the entrance, grabbed my bag and ran out of the house taking her to the nearest hospital. 

They took her to the emergency immediately and started treating her when I just stood outside to catch my breath. I wanted to call and inform the police but I couldn't as I knew that Dad would hit me again if he got free and I was too sore for that. One other thing I knew was, that dad worked for someone who had power and if his boss made a harming beeline for us? We would be dead before even saying a 'please'. So, I just went to the bathroom to clean off her blood that was on my t-shirt and waited for the doctors to come out.

After about an eternity, the nurse came out to tell me that she was in a stable condition and that I could meet her but she needed rest so the meeting had to be precise. I tiptoed in the room just to see my baby sister lying on those colourless white sheets with monitors and needles attached to her. The silent beeping of the machines brought tears to my eyes but nonetheless, I went to her slowly.

"Hi, munchkin." I whispered as if talking to the most delicate thing to exist in the entire universe.

Her voice croaked, "H-hii."

I tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, "How are you feeling, baby?"

Her little chin wobbled, "It hurts, sissy. My back and my legs hurt a lot."

I removed some hair from her forehead and kissed it, "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm so sorry I got late. You should have rushed in the room, locked it and given me a call when dad came."

"I didn't know he was there. I was sleeping because I was tired after school when I felt a sharp pain on my back and legs and he was hitting me. I wish he stops, sissy."

I felt tears pool near the corner of my eyes and I wanted to smack myself for not being there for her. She was four, about to turn five but for me she was still just a baby and didn't deserve to suffer like this at all. She would get nightmares and would be scarred for life and this was the last thing I wanted her to face. As though knowing the internal battle raging inside of me, she spoke holding my hand, "Don't blame yourself, it was never your fault. You did all you could do to protect me. Just look after yourself too. You should look after others till a certain point but never forget yourself."