thirteen | kat

Missed the last chapter? Check it out on @kmorgannn18's account under the story Loose Ends | Miles!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DAY 8

MY FIST CONNECTED with the agent's jaw, sending him reeling backwards. During his slight disorientation, I managed to kick him in the side and he stumbled to the left. Still, he remained on his feet. Worse, he grabbed my leg before I could land another hit. The agent pulled me forward and I lost my balance, hitting the concrete. Hard.

Not good.

For my opponent, that is.

As he approached, I kicked his legs out from under him. He fell, landing directly on his shoulder and crying out. I scrambled to my feet and pinned him to the ground.

"You have something that doesn't belong to you," I said.

"An American?" he rasped. "You're a long way from home, dearie." The agent shoved me off of him. He brought back his fist, ready to strike. I ducked. Although I was only an intern, I was quick. He'd have to be faster than that.

In one swift movement, I leaned back, bringing my legs up and kicking him in the face. The agent fell backwards and didn't get up again. I searched his pockets until I found the hard drive Miles described and slipped it into my pocket. Thank you. I slowly got to my feet, breathing heavily, my heart still racing in my chest.

"Kat, they need to be conscious for you to interrogate them." Miles's familiar voice came from behind me and I whirled around, ignoring the way most of my hair had escaped my ponytail and was currently threatening to obscure my vision. He looked uneasy, causing me to wonder what he had been expecting when he found me.

I glanced from the agent to Miles's concerned green eyes. "How long can you wait?"

"I just ran straight out of MI6, unauthorized, so not long." His cheeks were flushed, his hair was a mop of haphazard curls, and his chest lifted and fell quickly with his breath. Huh.

"Why?" I asked, pulling my hair out of my face, tying it back again with my elastic. "I had it under control."

"In case you bloody forgot, you told me not to hang up while you beat the shite out of this tosser. And in the meanwhile, what did you expect me to do? Keep doing paperwork? You sounded like you were getting hurt." He took a step closer to me but I hardly noticed. My fingers brushed the drive sitting innocently in my pocket. "You did get hurt, didn't you?"

The aches all over my body and the stinging sensation under my eye were clear indications from my brain that, yes, I did get hurt. Despite my confidence in my abilities, I was fighting an experienced agent who was on his guard because of the information he had been carrying. But I didn't know why Miles was freaking out about it. Or why he was worried if I was injured or not. Nothing hurt that bad. He didn't have to come here. And I just wanted him on the line in case... well... "Have you ever noticed that you get more British when you're angry?" I asked.

"Well, can you blame me? You've completely lost the plot!" Miles exclaimed. Definitely more British. "And don't avoid my question. You should know better than to lie to your partner."

However, Miles didn't give me time to respond. I was planning on giving some witty comeback. To tell him that it didn't matter what happened to me because, look! We stopped the agent! But Miles took another step towards me and brought his warm hand to my face. His thumb gently brushed against the bruise that had likely formed on my cheek. His brow was knit in concern as he examined my injury. My heart was beating quickly for an entirely different reason now, and it had nothing to do with my leftover adrenaline.