eleven | kat

Missed the last chapter? Check it out on @kmorgannn18's profile under the story Loose Ends | Miles!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DAY 7

I GLANCED DOWN at my phone again

I GLANCED DOWN at my phone again. Miles still hadn't responded to my question. "Damn you," I mumbled. I supposed I couldn't complain too much since Miles was willing to be seen in public with me instead of confining our meetings to a small bedroom. But it was still annoying.

I shoved my phone into my coat pocket. I couldn't get over the information Miles revealed to me the night before. His brother was being blackmailed to work with and help Blackout. And, naturally, Miles seemed devastated by this.

I wanted to be mad at him for bailing on me and not telling me what was going on. I really did. It was so much easier to just be angry with Miles. Yet I couldn't help but understand why he kept this information to himself for a time. I mean, his brother was somehow entangled with the terrorist organization we were trying to investigate and put a stop to. Of course Miles wanted to wait. Besides, he hardly trusted me. He wouldn't want to jump right in and tell me his brother is working for the enemy and risk having me report his family or anything like that.

So, there I was, completely sympathetic to a man I never thought I would feel anything other than hate towards. Ugh. Speaking of which... I glanced out of the lobby window just as Miles pulled up in his beloved car. That he named. Because he was a child.

The night was brisk, each breath like a puff of smoke as I walked to Miles's car. He honked just as I reached for the handle and I jumped. Through the window, I saw him laughing.

I yanked the door open and promptly closed it behind me, trying to calm my rapid heart rate. "Are you insane? Did you plan to wake the whole street?"

"I've been waiting."

"For, what, five seconds?" I asked incredulously while buckling my seatbelt. "Will you finally tell me where we're going?"

"Ever been to Trafalgar Square at night?" Miles asked, shifting gears. If he was still shaken up about the night before, it wasn't obvious.

"Truffula-what?" I stammered.

"Trafalgar," Miles corrected.

I shook my head. "I've never been there at all." I'd noticed it was a popular tourist destination while looking up places to go, but I hadn't visited it yet.

"Not even while you were studying abroad? Damn. I'm sure you've just offended all the tour guides in the area." He had some balls to bring up college right now. Maybe we should make that a rule: no talking about the incident. Especially when I had some big news for him.

See, I was particularly anxious for this meeting. I'd been considering the discovery Miles had about Leo, and it was all I could think about. I had some ideas, maybe even crazy ones. But given that there wasn't much to work off of at the moment, it could be exactly what we needed.