Chapter 5 - Overthinking

Start from the beginning

Once I convinced myself I was composed enough, I left the bathroom, grabbing my beer from the shelf I'd left it on before entering. I looked below the railing at the lower floor, seeing Lucy and Madison still happily chatting. I felt a wave of melancholy wash over me, realizing they'd be out of state as soon as fall hit.

I didn't like the idea of having to make new friends. I was fine with the way things were. I wasn't ready to start new.

"Evan, right?" I tore my eyes away from the party downstairs and turned around. At first I didn't see anyone but my eyes lowered to see a boy sitting against the wall a few feet from me. He had dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. His forearms were resting on his knees in front of him, with a can of beer in his left hand.

I blinked a few times before realizing I hadn't responded.

"Yeah, sorry. Do I know you?" He gave me a half smile, looking up at me with amused eyes.

"We haven't met. I was at your graduation, my sister was in your grade. I'm Sam." I nodded and send him an apologetic smile,

"Oh, what's your sister's name? Maybe I know her."

"Mia Davis." I frowned, recognizing it.

"She was a cheerleader, right?" He laughed,

"Yeah." I'd seen her in the halls and at basketball games. She was short, petite, and pretty popular if I could remember correctly.

"Yeah, she was pretty cool." I responded, not knowing what else to say. I hadn't ever hung out with her. He laughed again, looking amused.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot." I shook my head dismissively and studied his features as he watched me. He was wearing a loose blue v-neck and black jeans. He didn't seem to feel uncomfortable with the silence that lingered.

I felt strange just looking down at him, so I walked over and sat down against the wall next to him, turning my eyes back to the party below.

"So, did she bring you here?" I asked, curious. I hadn't seen him before at our school and he seemed a year or two older than me.

"Yeah, and some friends from Creighton were coming too so I tagged along." He responded, I felt his eyes on me. I turned my head in interest,

"You go to Creighton?" He nodded, taking a sip of his beer.

"Where are you headed?" I sighed,

"Metropolitan." I don't know why I'd get embarrassed to tell others I was going to community college.

"I know some people there, I think you'll like it." I gave a short laugh,

"Thanks, I hope so." I took a sip from my drink and scrunched my face up. "Why does Heineken smell and taste like they infused it with weed?"

Sam looked at me, an entertained smile spreading across his face.

"No way does it taste like weed." My eyes widened and I held my bottle up to his face. He gently took it from me before taking a small sip. I watched as his expression of disbelief faded and a small defeated smile grew on his face.

"Okay, well maybe a little..." I laughed and took another sip. "I don't get why people like weed." I looked at him, curiously.

"Really?" He shook his head.

"I've got to disagree, I'm pretty baked right now..." He looked closer at my eyes and laughed when he saw my pupils.

"I didn't even realize, you hide it well. Why do you like it?" I leaned my head back against the wall and stared off into the distance.

"Well, you know when you get really lost in your own thoughts? Like, there's nothing you can do to stop yourself from thinking about a certain thing, over and over until you're getting paranoid and stressed over something you shouldn't even be thinking about. Weed just kind of, takes those thoughts away from me for a bit. Gives me some peace." I turned to look at him. He'd been watching me as I spoke, listening carefully.

"I wish it affected me like that. It does the complete opposite for me. I'll get super paranoid when I'm high, overthinking the tiniest things. That's why I stick to alcohol." He said, raising his beer.

I laughed and brought my beer to lightly tap against his, before we both drank. "Anyway," he started, "what kind of things do you tend to overthink?" I hummed, wondering if I should tell him.

"Uh, I'm not sure." I turned my head and stared into the blue eyes watching me. "Mostly... just social interactions and..." I trailed off as his features drew me in, my eyes trailing down from his eyes to his lips. He was only inches from my face, had I moved closer to him or had he come towards me?

My eyes fluttered shut as I felt his soft lips touch mine gently, before he leaned further into the kiss. His lips tasted mildly of the beer we'd just drank together.

My hand absentmindedly set the beer bottle on the ground next to me and made its way to his chest. I slowly felt myself kiss him back timidly. He steered the kiss and gently bit down on my lower lip, causing my mouth to open slightly. His tongue slowly took over and I felt his hand get tangled in my hair, while his other one lightly grazed against my neck.

At that action, my mind jumped to Rowan touching me the same way in his cousin's bar. I pushed Sam back and broke away from the kiss, staring at him shocked.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his eyes were eagerly searching my face, looking confused.

My heart pounded as realization came to me of what I'd done. I felt heat rush up to my face and avoided his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry... I'm just not sure that I'm... into guys." I slowly met his eyes again, but he didn't seem angry.

"That's okay," He said, leaning back. "I should go find my friends, they're probably wondering where I am." I looked at him apologetically. He slowly got up and started walking to the steps. I leapt up after him and grabbed his hand in fear. He turned around.

"Can you, like... not tell anyone about that? I've never..." I trailed off looking away from him, feeling my cheeks warm.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." He winked and I felt myself blush even more. "Don't overthink it." He said, his hand squeezed mine before it slipped away and he headed back downstairs.

I watched him go. Don't overthink it? How? My mind was going haywire and I sat back against the wall, trying to think through what had happened.

You kissed him back...

I felt my heart pound faster... It had to have been the mix of weed and alcohol. I wasn't thinking straight...

I heard a muffled yell come from one of the rooms near me and my attention snapped.

Please vote! :)

New story coming soon cause I am a dumbass and couldn't help myself. It's a surfer boyxboy set in Santa Cruz, California which is where I'm from but what can I say I was really homesick. I will post the prologue today plz read! :)

Q: favorite band at the moment?