Chapter 21 - Envelope

thinking back to the days when i didn't get ads while reading my own stories...

***

"So, the executive branch- the president- nominates judges for the judicial branch... and the legislative branch confirms them."

"Yes, but remember the executive branch includes the president, vice president, and cabinet. Only the president nominates judges." I said, nodding to the girl who'd spoken up and a bright smile lit up her face as the pieces clicked.

"Wait, I still don't understand exactly what the legislative branch is though?" The girl sitting to my left said, inching closer to look at the chart I'd drawn for the group.

My political science professor had asked me to help tutor his introduction to government students. I accepted after learning I'd be getting paid thirty dollars an hour, though I underestimated how mentally draining it'd be.

That's why I found myself stuck in a small room of the library with four anxious girls who were continuously interrupting each other to ask me questions. While it was stressful, it did force my thoughts of Rowan and his dad from my mind as I tried to keep up.

"Okay, no problem." I ignored my discomfort at her proximity and pulled a blank piece of paper towards us. "So, the legislative branch passes laws, and in this country it's called Congress," I wrote Congress at the top of the page before drawing two small arrows from the box.

"Right..."

"And Congress is made up of the Senate and House of Representatives." I wrote each under the arrows and circled them.

"-but what's the difference between the Senate and-"

"Let him finish, Jenna." The girl across from me said, cutting her off. I didn't know how to deal with arguments, and bit my lip in unease before the image of Rowan's thumb touching it flashed in my mind. I stopped, and felt my face heat up.

"Calm down, Eva." Jenna replied, venom dripping from her voice. "I was just asking a question."

"Uh- so, members of the Senate represent their whole state, and the members of the House represent a district in their state. Each state gets two senators, but they all get a different number of house representatives based on how many districts they have."

Jenna still looked confused.

"Okay, so for example, here in Nebraska, we have two senators like every other state." She nodded, and I saw Eva rolling her eyes at her while the other two stifled laughter at the action. "But we have three house representatives because we have three districts. You and I can only vote for a representative in our own district."

"Sure..."

"And now think of Pennsylvania. They also have two senators, but a much larger population, so they have eighteen districts, and eighteen house representatives."

"Oh, okay."

"So the representatives elected from each state form the House of Representatives, and the senators elected from each state form the Senate. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah, thanks." She inched a bit closer to me, ignoring the glare she was receiving from Eva.

"Sure, so the actual responsibility of sponsoring bills goes to the House, they vote on a selected one, and if the majority approves it, it's then passed to the Senate. The senators debate with each other, if the bill passes by majority vote, they send it to the president who either signs it into law or vetoes it."

"Ohhh, I get it now." She said, and leaned back in her chair.

"Awesome," I said, releasing a breath quietly. I hadn't prepared to talk so much.